Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?

Comment from: tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had stomach pains now for 7 months, I've been on 8 different antibiotics. It started in the left hand side but now it has developed across my lower stomach and right hand side also. I am currently on co-amoxiclav 500, metronidazole 200mg and mebeverine 135mg, it's frustrating for me now.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

My abdominal pain starts in the morning and increases throughout day. Milk of Magnesia and anti-acid/anti-gas OTC liquids take the edge off during periods of hunger when stomach pain worsens. It feels like a burning and inner-writhing of spasms at its worst and strange noises can be heard within. I'm thinking that less food throughout day may result in less trauma at night trying to relax. It feels under pressure then and especially sensitive.

I had severe abdominal pain just around and below navel that would begin and get worse for a few days, then start to lessen gradually. It left me incapacitated for a week at a time. I had 13 attacks over the course of two years at the age of 58. I had many, many tests with no answer. Finally, my gastroenterologist told me I had irritable bowel and would have to live with it. My answer was that something was causing it, and I was not going to live with it. I had no other symptoms. I finally discovered, on my own that the cause was aspartame. I had been consuming one or two diet cocoa's a day most days, didn't have any other diet food or drink. Have not had aspartame (or any other artificial sweetener) in 8 years, and have been pain free all that time.

Comment from: Fidel, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I have pain in the upper stomach radiating to the back, I just moved to a different place and the way of food and eating since while I was home there was no problem at all. But since I moved to the military camp after 1 day of eating I started having pain. I very often I have stomach pain due to the change of place and food. Eleven years ago I had pseudocyst removed so I am scared that I have pancreatitis, even though I have no vomiting, no fever, just pain in the middle of the stomach radiating to the back. So far I have used pantoprazole 40mg but it didn't help too much.

Comment from: eljhon, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 28

My stomach lower parts are always in pain for almost 1 year.

Comment from: Royce, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 13

The abdominal pain occurs most of the day. It varies from upper, lower and middle abdomen. It the middle of the night when I have sharp pains I get up and drink water of milk and seems to help. I have had a cat scan and a endoscopy and neither showed anything. The doctor is considering a colonoscopy next. I don't have any fever, loose bowels or vomiting. Any suggestions as to what my problem may be. I am really getting tired of the pain.

Comment from: Also worried mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

Dear worried mom. My son who is 14 also has had abdominal pain and now headaches for almost 2 years. We have been through all gastro tests at Johns Hopkins and they have found nothing except a little GERD. I have been researching and trying different things but nothing has worked yet. We do have an appt in a couple days with a different doctor, so we have our fingers crossed.

Comment from: Wife, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

For more than 30 years my wife has had what she called "her belly button pain." She had a hernia repair around 20 years ago and thought it fixed the problem. About a month ago she had a test that was "inconclusive" for celiac disease. We went "gluten free" and since then she has had about 4-5 episodes--3 in the last 3 days. She is in such pain she throws up (with no nausea; only pain). I am in tears, feeling so helpless. Usually, after she throws up, she is able to fall asleep. What is this? She has been to a Gastroenterologist. She has had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, CT, X-ray and blood work. Everything is negative except the "inconclusive" for celiac disease. Since then, we have been trying to very carefully go in the gluten-free direction. I am scared it's cancer or something that has eaten away her intestines and I am going to lose her. Please help me. I'm so scared.

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Causes

What do you think was the cause of your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Physical Examination

Please describe your experience with abdominal pain physical examination.

Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

Please share your abdominal pain diagnosis experience.

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?