Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

...
Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am suffering with bad bloating and stomach pains on a daily basis I also have lower back pain I was diagnosed with IBS. Nothing works anymore. I look like I'm pregnant but can't be I was sterilized 7 years ago. I'm sick of all discomfort and pain.

Comment from: Abdominal Pain (Adul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have got operated on my right side for a hernia before two years. After that operation the pain was not reduced, and I'm still in pain today. I also have slight pain and a reduction in erection. I have consulted three urologists. There was no conclusion. One more urologist suspected that prostate problem.

Comment from: spooky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I am a 56 year old female, and I have had severe lower abdominal pain for five years. I have had every test in the book, every scope and scan, and have seen specialists from the three biggest hospitals in Boston. No one can tell me what is wrong, as all of my tests show up negative. Otherwise I am 100% healthy. I do not take any meds for anything else. I have perfect blood pressure, perfect cholesterol and perfect blood sugar. I have to take pain pills every day or I cannot function the pain is so bad. I was told by two surgeons that chronic pelvic pain in women is common, but this is ridiculous. No one will do an exploratory laparoscopy on me, because they said all of my tests are negative. I am very frustrated and so is my primary doctor.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I'm a 28 year old female. I have been dealing with abdominal pain for about 10 years. It doesn't happen every day but it is quite frequent. It only happens in the morning. The pain comes on pretty quickly in my lower abdomen and then slowly passes. It feels like a menstrual cramp but much more intense. Some mornings it happens twice but usually it's just one big cramp. It hurts so much that I instantly start to sweat. The whole episode lasts only 1 or 2 minutes and then I'm fine and capable of going about the day. I always assumed it was hormone related because of how it feels and the time of day it happens. As a teenager I had horrible menstrual cycles with pain so bad that I would pass out and throw up regularly. I think those experiences numbed me to abdominal pain and that's why I've been putting up with it for the last 10 years. Because I've been living with it for so long and since the episodes don't last long enough to really interfere with my life, I've never sought medical attention. Perhaps I should.

Comment from: Copper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had nausea vomiting, cramping and a sharp and knife-like at times. Sometimes the pain is so intense I vomit with no relief. Sometimes I want to pace but mostly I am so fatigued that all I want to do is rest. My CT scan of my bowel is unremarkable. In that area there is much cramping and diarrhea, there is no appendix and I've had complete hysterectomy and bladder repair. I am in the hospital awaiting endoscopy and am on heaving duty pain killers and antiemetics.

Comment from: lkw733, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am a 24 year old mother of three kids. I hurt everyday and I have had many tests run for my abdominal pain. I hurt every day, but some days are worse than others. I do not have my gallbladder or appendix anymore, so I know those can't be the problem. I have been seen by many doctors who can not seem to find anything wrong. Right now, all my doctor is doing is giving me strong narcotic pain medication. It helps, but it makes me a little tired.

Comment from: WiseGhy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I am a 47 year old male. I have had two ER visits and 2 w/urgent care as well as several PCP appointments. At first, they thought it was kidney stones, but then the severe pain moved to the abdomen and stayed there. The whole time, my body smelled really bad of ammonia and I had pain everywhere with fatigue, bad allergies with totally jammed up congestion and badly clouded thinking. I finally went to see a "gluten" type doctor. She did a stool test and it turned out to be a serious bacterial AND fungal infection with ammonia producing bacteria and lots of that horrid, painful candida yeast fungus in my intestines and total urinary tract organs. It appears this led to diverticulitis and eventually a near total intestinal shut down. This may have finally caused the bacterial problem. Now, I feel great after 100 mg Diflucan 2x daily. An amino urine testing suggested I have both a genetic and dietary problem. I am now on special vitamin supplements along with a greatly improved diet (w/no sugar). These methods help, along with exercise and deep, regular sleep. Always, always get tested for Candida and bacterial infection. FIND a doctor who has a clue and knows these types of GI problems REALLY exist.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Causes

What do you think was the cause of your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Physical Examination

Please describe your experience with abdominal pain physical examination.

Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

Please share your abdominal pain diagnosis experience.