Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

Comment from: WiseGhy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I am a 47 year old male. I have had two ER visits and 2 w/urgent care as well as several PCP appointments. At first, they thought it was kidney stones, but then the severe pain moved to the abdomen and stayed there. The whole time, my body smelled really bad of ammonia and I had pain everywhere with fatigue, bad allergies with totally jammed up congestion and badly clouded thinking. I finally went to see a "gluten" type doctor. She did a stool test and it turned out to be a serious bacterial AND fungal infection with ammonia producing bacteria and lots of that horrid, painful candida yeast fungus in my intestines and total urinary tract organs. It appears this led to diverticulitis and eventually a near total intestinal shut down. This may have finally caused the bacterial problem. Now, I feel great after 100 mg Diflucan 2x daily. An amino urine testing suggested I have both a genetic and dietary problem. I am now on special vitamin supplements along with a greatly improved diet (w/no sugar). These methods help, along with exercise and deep, regular sleep. Always, always get tested for Candida and bacterial infection. FIND a doctor who has a clue and knows these types of GI problems REALLY exist.

Comment from: maggie8358, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen, almost in the groin area. The pain started after dinner last night and continues today. The area is tender to the touch. I also feel bloated. Otherwise, I have no other symptoms.

Comment from: trish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had a kabob on Friday night. It wasn't good. Around 10 that night, I was at work and I got some anti-diarrheal tablets, and I got a little better. On Monday, I called the doctor and he prescribed me a syrup, which I took, though it has not provided me with much relief. I still feel very weak.

Comment from: saddaughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

Please be very aware of your abdominal pain. My 74-year-old mother was complaining of abdominal pain starting in November of 2009. She had numerous tests/blood work was done with no results. She was still moving around at this point. She thought (because the doctors told her) that it was arthritis. Needless to say on March 10, 2010 the pain became severe. On March 14, she was admitted to the hospital. On March 19 the doctors told her she had stage IV liver cancer. On March 21 she passed away. With all the tests done on her since November I cannot believe this was missed. I have looked at her records and note that numerous blood work done on her in October, November and December came back ABNORMAL. A radiologist performed an ultrasound on her abdomen in December....results? Normal. Please...if your doctor tells you everything is coming back normal....go seek a second opinion.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had left-sided abdominal pain for seven months, starting in my groin area radiating into my back, down my left leg to my knee. There is a small kidney stone there, but that has been ruled out as the problem. Back problems have been ruled out. The pain is intermittent, but can be severe, especially in bed. A sigmoid showed significant spasms on that side. I had C. diff 18 months ago, but my bowels are normal now, although an MRI showed moderate "constipation." This is perplexing.

Comment from: lnshearer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

On several occasions it will start out as indigestion-like feeling. Bloating and a burning in the area right below my breast bone where the ribs come together. It will intensify to the point that I cannot breathe, and then I start vomiting.

Comment from: momma 12345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had extreme pain in lower abdominal area just below the belly button to just below the bikini line area and it hurts to the touch. It is also comes with a pain that shoots from the lower abdominal area to my rectum and the pain lasts about 30 minutes to an hour. I get this about once a year and the pain is so bad that I would rather give birth than go through this.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My pain has been with me since I was a little girl. It stopped when I became a teenager. After I had kids, it began all over again. I have had every test you can think of. And they all come back normal. But it's so bad they sent me to the pain specialist. I'm taking pain meds and I feel like I am losing control.

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm

An aortic aneurysm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or bulging of the learn more >>

Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Causes

What caused your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Physical Examination

Please describe your experience with abdominal pain physical examination.

Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

Please share your abdominal pain diagnosis experience.