Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

Comment from: maggie8358, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen, almost in the groin area. The pain started after dinner last night and continues today. The area is tender to the touch. I also feel bloated. Otherwise, I have no other symptoms.

Comment from: trish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had a kabob on Friday night. It wasn't good. Around 10 that night, I was at work and I got some anti-diarrheal tablets, and I got a little better. On Monday, I called the doctor and he prescribed me a syrup, which I took, though it has not provided me with much relief. I still feel very weak.

Comment from: saddaughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

Please be very aware of your abdominal pain. My 74-year-old mother was complaining of abdominal pain starting in November of 2009. She had numerous tests/blood work was done with no results. She was still moving around at this point. She thought (because the doctors told her) that it was arthritis. Needless to say on March 10, 2010 the pain became severe. On March 14, she was admitted to the hospital. On March 19 the doctors told her she had stage IV liver cancer. On March 21 she passed away. With all the tests done on her since November I cannot believe this was missed. I have looked at her records and note that numerous blood work done on her in October, November and December came back ABNORMAL. A radiologist performed an ultrasound on her abdomen in December....results? Normal. Please...if your doctor tells you everything is coming back normal....go seek a second opinion.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had left-sided abdominal pain for seven months, starting in my groin area radiating into my back, down my left leg to my knee. There is a small kidney stone there, but that has been ruled out as the problem. Back problems have been ruled out. The pain is intermittent, but can be severe, especially in bed. A sigmoid showed significant spasms on that side. I had C. diff 18 months ago, but my bowels are normal now, although an MRI showed moderate "constipation." This is perplexing.

Comment from: lnshearer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

On several occasions it will start out as indigestion-like feeling. Bloating and a burning in the area right below my breast bone where the ribs come together. It will intensify to the point that I cannot breathe, and then I start vomiting.

Comment from: momma 12345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had extreme pain in lower abdominal area just below the belly button to just below the bikini line area and it hurts to the touch. It is also comes with a pain that shoots from the lower abdominal area to my rectum and the pain lasts about 30 minutes to an hour. I get this about once a year and the pain is so bad that I would rather give birth than go through this.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My pain has been with me since I was a little girl. It stopped when I became a teenager. After I had kids, it began all over again. I have had every test you can think of. And they all come back normal. But it's so bad they sent me to the pain specialist. I'm taking pain meds and I feel like I am losing control.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

The abdominal pain that I experience is combined with lots of gas and a feeling of pressure in the rectum area. I eat a high-fiber diet, lots of fruits, grains, whole wheat, oats, cinnamon, flax seed, walnuts, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, not much fat (olive or canola oils), some amount of sugar.

Comment from: clicksmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

Thanks so much, to all who worked to produce this web site. I am celebrating my 47 birthday today, and am a little worried now if I will see my 48th. I have been procrastinating on my symptoms being bad enough to seek out a hospital for help. Fear is a great motivator. In the last 3 months I have gone as long as 9 weeks with ut a bowel movement. Then wham. When they did move the pain dropped me like a fire cracker. I was alone and had no way to get help. After 4 hours I made it to my recliner where I stayed for 4 days. That was almost a month and a half ago. I have self-medicated with stool softeners. Hoping and praying to get better. A triple dose will produce an effect, after 2-4 days. As of now it has been 7+ days. After reading this article I have realized how serious my condition is. It's 11:00 am now. At 4:10 pm I will be heading to the ER. If the pain gets any worse I will call 911. Feeling like I may pass out. Thanks again for the heads up.

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?