Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

Comment from: Hopeful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Since April of 2009 I have experienced extreme pain in my abdomen. A hospital stay showed diverticulitis and infection. Since then I have lived with pain which has gotten worse as time has gone on. I have had two colonoscopies and both times they could not finish the tests. The dcotor said he saw a great amount of scar tissue and now I am scheduled for a lower GI to see if they can determine what to do next. The pain is intense and nothing seems to help. I am becoming very nervous and feel exhausted from it all. I just want it to be fixed so I can get on with my life. I have had bowel problems as long as I can remember. One doctor told me that I was just wired differently. Now it seems this is getting out of hand and I desperately need relief.

Comment from: hatebeing ill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I was given Acyclovir about 12 days ago an hour after noticing a rash - shingles on right torso. Rested 4 days, went back to work, some skin sensitivity. Twisted in chair 2 nights ago, got a sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen. This has happened a couple of times since when I've tensed (e.g. getting up from a chair). Now feel slight tension/soreness just below ribs most of the time.

Comment from: bd, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 04

Pain near belly button. Strong abdominal pain to left and right of belly button. Burning to solid pain. Last for hours. There has been no connection to any food types. I have had a celiac test, a lactose test, ultrasound and an upper GI...but nothing appears. I have tried Levision and Ompherzaleto help. The only thing that makes it better is to lie down. The pain doesn't happen everyday...just will appear. I am at a loss for the cause.

Comment from: DJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been experiencing dull ache in my lower abdomen that worsens after eating. It feels like built up gas and I will get nausea with it but have not vomited. I get a bit light headed as well. The symptoms have been going on for at least two weeks and come and goes.

Comment from: Ginney Green, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

Hi I am 23 years old just out of the blue or mainly at night, I would get this very sharp pain right in between my rib cage and then it will shoot down my stomach. I will get diarrhea and then get very nauseous. My doc thought that it was my gallbladder and that I might have gallstones but she had me checked and it wasn't either of those! I am really confused and don't know what is going on I am in so much pain I really want to get to the bottom of this!

Comment from: confused, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Sudden, sharp lower abdominal pain (like cramps) came from nowhere, it was sharp and quick, then it passed, a few minutes later I got another sharp, sudden pain. I felt nauseous and started sweating. Within a few minutes I felt something was really wrong. I went to the emergency and there the Dr. told me he felt I had either the onset of a stomach flu, or food poisoning. That was last night and today I feel the same but no sharp pains, just a dull ache, weak, tired, totally drained and overall uncomfortable.

Comment from: Jackie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was sick to stomach throwing up for 1 day and have loose stools that was on Friday then Sat I quit throwing up but bad cramps in lower abdomen. I went to doctor Wednesday and gave stool sample on Thursday, but today Friday the cramping is so bad its making me sick to my stomach I'm throwing up and have only had 1 bowel movement which again is loose and stringy. The pain is so bad I don't know how to get it to stop, I've tried hot tea, food but the pain makes me throw it up. I am 79 years old and also have COPD so I'm on oxygen. Also the doctor won't have any answers until next week sometime and this pain is unbearable.

Comment from: mplance05, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 24 yr old female. My pain started about 6 months ago. The pain is right below my bust line, you know right where your ribs come together it seems like. And at first, I thought like most people, it is acid reflux. But when I took some Nexium, the pain just got worse, and then I was vomiting. I was curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor crying because it hurt to move. Ever since then, I get the pain like every two months, and it takes like a whole week for the pain to subside.

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?