Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

The abdominal pain that I experience is combined with lots of gas and a feeling of pressure in the rectum area. I eat a high-fiber diet, lots of fruits, grains, whole wheat, oats, cinnamon, flax seed, walnuts, pine nuts, cashews, almonds, not much fat (olive or canola oils), some amount of sugar.

Comment from: clicksmama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

Thanks so much, to all who worked to produce this web site. I am celebrating my 47 birthday today, and am a little worried now if I will see my 48th. I have been procrastinating on my symptoms being bad enough to seek out a hospital for help. Fear is a great motivator. In the last 3 months I have gone as long as 9 weeks with ut a bowel movement. Then wham. When they did move the pain dropped me like a fire cracker. I was alone and had no way to get help. After 4 hours I made it to my recliner where I stayed for 4 days. That was almost a month and a half ago. I have self-medicated with stool softeners. Hoping and praying to get better. A triple dose will produce an effect, after 2-4 days. As of now it has been 7+ days. After reading this article I have realized how serious my condition is. It's 11:00 am now. At 4:10 pm I will be heading to the ER. If the pain gets any worse I will call 911. Feeling like I may pass out. Thanks again for the heads up.

Comment from: Hopeful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Since April of 2009 I have experienced extreme pain in my abdomen. A hospital stay showed diverticulitis and infection. Since then I have lived with pain which has gotten worse as time has gone on. I have had two colonoscopies and both times they could not finish the tests. The dcotor said he saw a great amount of scar tissue and now I am scheduled for a lower GI to see if they can determine what to do next. The pain is intense and nothing seems to help. I am becoming very nervous and feel exhausted from it all. I just want it to be fixed so I can get on with my life. I have had bowel problems as long as I can remember. One doctor told me that I was just wired differently. Now it seems this is getting out of hand and I desperately need relief.

Comment from: hatebeing ill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I was given Acyclovir about 12 days ago an hour after noticing a rash - shingles on right torso. Rested 4 days, went back to work, some skin sensitivity. Twisted in chair 2 nights ago, got a sharp stabbing pain in left abdomen. This has happened a couple of times since when I've tensed (e.g. getting up from a chair). Now feel slight tension/soreness just below ribs most of the time.

Comment from: bd, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 04

Pain near belly button. Strong abdominal pain to left and right of belly button. Burning to solid pain. Last for hours. There has been no connection to any food types. I have had a celiac test, a lactose test, ultrasound and an upper GI...but nothing appears. I have tried Levision and Ompherzaleto help. The only thing that makes it better is to lie down. The pain doesn't happen everyday...just will appear. I am at a loss for the cause.

Comment from: DJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been experiencing dull ache in my lower abdomen that worsens after eating. It feels like built up gas and I will get nausea with it but have not vomited. I get a bit light headed as well. The symptoms have been going on for at least two weeks and come and goes.

Comment from: Ginney Green, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

Hi I am 23 years old just out of the blue or mainly at night, I would get this very sharp pain right in between my rib cage and then it will shoot down my stomach. I will get diarrhea and then get very nauseous. My doc thought that it was my gallbladder and that I might have gallstones but she had me checked and it wasn't either of those! I am really confused and don't know what is going on I am in so much pain I really want to get to the bottom of this!

Comment from: confused, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Sudden, sharp lower abdominal pain (like cramps) came from nowhere, it was sharp and quick, then it passed, a few minutes later I got another sharp, sudden pain. I felt nauseous and started sweating. Within a few minutes I felt something was really wrong. I went to the emergency and there the Dr. told me he felt I had either the onset of a stomach flu, or food poisoning. That was last night and today I feel the same but no sharp pains, just a dull ache, weak, tired, totally drained and overall uncomfortable.

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm

An aortic aneurysm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or bulging of the learn more >>

Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Causes

What caused your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Physical Examination

Please describe your experience with abdominal pain physical examination.

Abdominal Pain - Diagnosis

Please share your abdominal pain diagnosis experience.