Viewer Comments: Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Medical Treatment

Please describe the cause and treatment of your abdominal pain.

...
Comment from: Gemski, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have been experiencing stabbing pains in the middle of my stomach for 3 days now. The pain is frequent but irregular and lasts a couple of minutes at a time. Sometimes it causes me to double over, other times I can cope with it. When I say irregular I mean I can wake up in the night with pain, take pain killers and go back to sleep but then be woken up again 3 hours later, then go back to sleep for several hours and wake up ok. This has been accompanied with a high temperature, headaches, fatigue, lethargy and diarrhea. I have vomited but only on the one occasion a couple of hours after a meal, I had not eaten properly for a few days so ill assume my stomach had shrunk a little and I ate too much for my stomach to handle. I have had the stomach pains around 2 weeks ago but they disappeared, unfortunately they returned a couple of days ago and seem to be lasting longer than the previous time. I have visited my gp, who pushed around my abdomen a little, then took a urine sample for a pregnancy test which was negative. I then had a blood test, which also came back ok; ruling out appendiscitis so I'm now left with an inconclusive condition and the pain is still there. If you have any new information you may be able to submit it would be helpful.

Comment from: Horatio, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

About twice a month, I get a nagging mild pain deep down on the left-hand side of my abdomen that can last for about a week. I tend to associate it with flatulence, bladder weakness, feeling below-par and lacking in energy. When this phase passes, I generally feel fine until the symptoms reoccur some time later.

Comment from: liliansimage, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 21 year old female who has been having sharp pain on my right side just below the rib cage as well as under it, for 3 years and 4 months. I get migraines, nausea, vomiting (every now and then), constipated, I'm tired all the time. I feel as if I could pass out every now and then, the pain is constant it never goes away; I don't have a problem when I eat or after I eat that I've noticed. I can't exercise because it seems to make the pain worse; I have blood in my stool a lot. Doctors can't seem to find out what is wrong with me. I have had x-rays, cats can, hydro scan, EKG, MRI of the spine, colonoscopy, endoscopy, nerve blocks, blood tests, urine tests, ultrasounds, stool samples, and many more test and medications. Nothing seems to show up on the test and nothing seems to help with the pain.

Comment from: stomachpain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have suffered from GERD and nausea for over 2 months. Lately nausea would worsen if I did not eat within 2 hours. I started to eat a better diet of fruit and veggies and whole grains the last 2 weeks. I felt pretty good on sat and sun then without warning I got severe stomach pain that I almost went to the hospital, on Mon morning. I saw my doctor today and I am getting a cat. I have suffered from GERD and nausea for over 2 months. Lately nausea would worsen if I did not eat within 2 hours. I started to eat a better diet of fruit and veggies and whole grains the last 2 weeks. I felt pretty good on sat and sun then without warning I got severe stomach pain that I almost went to the hospital, on Monday morning. I saw my doctor today and I am getting a cat scan for possible diverticulitis.

Published: April 18

I had burning pain in left side front radiating to my back.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had abdominal pain for quite a while now, it has caused the lower half of the abdomen to swell a bit, and it gets very sore that even slight movement is painful. I have just recently had a CT scan and it is showing a 7mm growth on the pancreas, I am wondering if there is anyone who could tell me what this might be, as I am on a waiting list to see a specialist at the hospital, but it will take a while.

Comment from: Maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Am 41 years old, I have been having this stomach pain since I was 18 years old. Describing the pain is opening someone's stomach and squizing out the intestines. Sometimes it starts from the upper down to the lower part of my stomach, when it gets lower, I pass stool like grinded substance and cools down a bit and starts all over, sometimes it lasts for 1hr or so. I vomit sometimes but does not calm it down. Every test I have done is positive. The after effect can take 3 days to heal. The last pain came last week, and it started from the lower part, stooling and urinating was painful, I went to the clinic, I was told that they will refer me to see a specialist. The pain is much painful that child birth. I do not really know what else I can do.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Abdominal Pain in Adults

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Aortic Aneurysm
Aortic Aneurysm An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Appendicitis
Appendicitis The cause of appendicitis is not clear. Common symptoms of appendicitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, constipation, diarrhea. Some peop...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abdominal Pain (Adults):

Abdominal Pain - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your abdominal pain?

Abdominal Pain - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your abdominal pain?