Skin Abscess Prognosis
- Once treated, the skin abscess should heal. The prognosis is generally excellent, but some individuals may suffer from repeated abscesses requiring medical attention.
- Most people do not require antibiotics.
- The pain should improve almost immediately after drainage and subside more each day.
- Soak or wash the area daily until the wound heals -- about seven to 10 days.
- Usually you can remove the packing by the second day. It rarely needs to be replaced.
- After the first two days, drainage from the abscess should be minimal to none. All sores should heal in 10 to 14 days.
Must Read Articles Related to Abscess
Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammati...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess: