Skin Abscess Prognosis
- Once treated, the skin abscess should heal. The prognosis is generally excellent, but some individuals may suffer from recurrent abscesses requiring medical attention.
- Most people do not require antibiotics.
- The pain should improve almost immediately after drainage and subside more each day.
- Soak or wash the area daily until the wound heals -- about seven to 10 days.
- Usually one can remove the packing by the second day. It rarely needs to be replaced.
- After the first two days, drainage from the abscess should be minimal to none. All sores should heal in 10-14 days.
Baddour, Larry M. "Skin abscesses, furuncles, and carbuncles." UpToDate.com. June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/skin-abscesses-furuncles-and-carbuncles?source=search_result&search=Skin+Abscess&selectedTitle=1~45>.
Goldstein, Beth G., and Adam O. Goldstein. "Overview of benign lesions of the skin." UpToDate.com. June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-benign-lesions-of-the-skin?source=search_result&search=cyst&selectedTitle=1~150#H59809494>.
Margesson, Lynette J., and F. William Danby. "Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa (acne inversa)." UpToDate.com. June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/pathogenesis-clinical-features-and-diagnosis-of-hidradenitis-suppurativa-acne-inversa?source=search_result&search=hidradenitis+suppurativa&selectedTitle=2~42>.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/24/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Abscess
Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess: