Is It Possible to Prevent a Skin Abscess?
- Maintain good personal hygiene by washing the skin with soap and water regularly.
- Take care to avoid cutting oneself when shaving the underarms or pubic area.
- Seek medical attention for any puncture wounds:
- Especially if the person thinks there may be some foreign material or debris inside the wound or under the skin
- If the person has one of the listed medical conditions that may weaken the immune system
- If the person is on steroids, chemotherapy or other immunosuppressive medications, or dialysis
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/15/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Abscess
Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess: