Viewer Comments: Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have had multiple abscess over the last couple of years, I have had them in my armpits, buttocks, groin, shin and knees, hips and upper thighs all have been painful but thankfully only a couple have needed to be lanced and all have left me with horrible scars. The one thing I have figured out is that major stress can cause them at least for me, so to be as preventative as possible I use a body wash called Physohex (not to be used on children), which is a disinfectant and if I have a abscess and it has got a head on it I use a drawing ointment called Magnoplasm which draws out the pus that can be a little stubborn.

Comment from: dln84, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had gotten an abscess inside of my abdominal wall where I had appendicitis. It formed about 10 days later and kept me in the hospital for almost 2 weeks. They treated me with 3 strong antibiotics & I had to have a drain surgically placed in the abscess and flush and drain 4 times daily. I will have the drain removed on Monday hopefully if the CT scan says it is ok. I'm still on antibiotics for it. Mine is about the size of a golf ball...painful and no fun. I hope nobody has to experience this. This happens to about 20% of patients after a removed appendix.

Comment from: embarrassed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I just went to the doctor, he said that I have an abscess near my anus... very painful and embarrassing. I really can't do anything without aggravating it. All he did was give me some antibiotics and told me to take hot baths as much as I can till it pops. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem to be a very effective way to treat it. I have also heard of a pilonidal cyst and I have heard that doctors can drain these. I should probably see another doctor.

Comment from: marie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was four months pregnant when I got an abscess on the lower part of my stomach was very painful. I went to the doctor and it burst as she was looking at it. I was given antibiotics and I was very worried, but I was glad I went to the doctor. Having an abscess is not a pleasant experience but it's such a relief when it drains.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

For boils, get a second opinion. I found a peanut sized lump in my armpit on Monday. I went to see the doc on Tuesday and told I had pimple. I went back on Friday because the pain was unbearable and was told I had a cyst. They lanced it and sent me home. Sunday I went to a walk in clinic to have the bandages changed and they repacked it WITHOUT freezing!! I almost passed out. Monday I was back again and told the "abscess" had spread and now the oreo sized lump had to be cut open like an old change purse. Now I have to go back daily to get the dressing changed and I hope I can avoid being admitted to emergency... so if you have a peanut sized cyst get it lanced early.

Comment from: bob from ohio, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been getting abscesses most of my life. I get them all over and they are brutally painful. I get one fixed and another one comes to ruin my life. I can't them to go away. I can't work and I can hardly sit still and I have lost all of my jobs. I have had several surgeries for them and they keep coming back. I don't know what to do. I have no money and I am in danger of becoming homeless because of this. When I tell people my problem, they look at me funny, or think I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but they have no idea how much this disables someone. I wish it would just go away so I can have a real life.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had an abscess on my lower thigh. I'm not sure what caused it, but I went crying to the ER in the middle of the night. My advice is that if you think you have an abscess, get to the doctor. You don't want to get to the point I got. It was so painful I could barely walk because the tissue in my leg was so tight and swollen. They lanced it and packed the wound as it had been draining. Yes, it was painful, but it was worth the relief. It has been an extremely horrible experience. It has been almost five days and it is still very sore. I don't think I could have taken much longer trying to get the stuff out with hot compresses. My advice to anyone dealing with this is to just suck it up and go in and have it drained if you are reading this. Get your antibiotics and pain medications and the quality of your life will be greatly improved while you recover.

Comment from: Sleeping_beauty21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I am currently recovering from an abscess that formed under my armpit. I tried to pop it myself, yet the infectious puss caused 3 more to appear, leading me to rush to the emergency room where they were cut open, drained, and stuffed with packing. Two days later I pulled the stuffing out. It was the most painful experience of my life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

From WebMD