Viewer Comments: Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Comment from: helpme79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

An abscess isn't a joke. It's nothing like a toothache. Some say labor pains are more pleasant. I don't know about that because I don't have kids, but I can say you'll feel like ripping someone's head off when you're experiencing the pain. It's massive and I would not wish this on anyone.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm dealing with an abscess around my cheek they are very painful. The main cause of an abscess is dirty ingrown hairs yes people, gigantic razor bumps if you can catch it early there's a chance. Look for hair growing out and back in to the skin and when you see it grab your tweezers and yank out the hair. There may be a little bleeding and pus then sanitize with rubbing alcohol or Bernadine or sterilize a pin and pop and drain then sterilize.

Comment from: sophie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an abscess in the groin. I had it for over a year and doctors kept treating it with antibiotics until I couldn't stick out the pain anymore. I was sent up to hospital within 1 week and I was admitted. I had local antithetic to remove the abscess. It took 5 weeks to heal so hopefully that's it. I should have been removed long before this that was 7 weeks ago.

Comment from: 11yr old boy, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My 11 year old son has one on his bottom the poor boy didn't tell me for a week he said he had a football injury, we rushed him to hospital one morning when he woke up crying in so much pain. They had to operate and it had become that big they couldn't pack it but had to stitch a tube in there to let it drain. They say it will be in for about a week. It's now day 3 in hospital and he is still in so much pain. Don't leave it until the last minute to get it checked out.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

From WebMD