Viewer Comments: Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Comment from: Hugh Manatee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

Occasionally I get abscesses between the scrotum and rectal area. Upon the first sign of stinging, I use iodine wipes to cleanse it and then a good sized dose of Neosporin ointment two or three times a day. Usually they will head up and pop on their own after a day. Re-treat it again and it's fine.

Comment from: Jordan, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 07

My son would get a recurring abscess on his leg. After the 3rd round of antibiotics we decided to try Nuvaderm liquid. I read that it kills staph infections. Best thing I ever did because the next time he had it I put this stuff on (exceeding the affected area) and the next morning it was gone! There really is no guidance on how long to treat so I kept applying it for the next 9 days. Honestly I wish I could tell everyone that suffers from these things to try this because it was a miracle for us.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had an abscess develop on my buttocks once and it festered off and on for about a year. The only treatment given it was to allow it to burst on its own, which it did after a year. I then made a paste of raw garlic and applied it for an hour. No more problem since.

Comment from: Beenthere, (Patient) Published: September 29

I am currently recovering from what appears to be a perianal abscess. It had me bedridden for days. I searched online for home treatments and tried 2 of them. First was a mixture of baking soda with Bragg apple cider vinegar. I made a paste and placed it on the abscess. After the 3rd time the abscess began to discharge and relief was immediate. It went from pain level 10 to about a 7 to 8. The vinegar paste burned a little so I decided to try the more popular tea tree oil and turmeric paste. That also burned but I sucked it up and applied it for at least an hour at a time. I did these applications for about 4 days straight. It would help it discharge as much as possible and I also took Augmentin and then amoxicillin during the entire time. The abscess is still draining but I am around a pain level 3 so I am one happy girl. As a precaution, I am probably going to see a doctor, but just want others to know that if you find yourself in a bind, those 2 home remedies do work.

Comment from: SCS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

Ever since childhood I have had what the Navy doctors diagnosed as sebaceous cysts of the scrotum. As I grew through adolescence, so did the abscesses. I would use a needle to excise the 'cheese' while squeezing and let it heal on its own. I know now that wasn't the smartest procedure, but it worked. Later in life the number and frequency of the cysts have diminished dramatically and they barely developed. Now that I'm in my 50s, I have also developed cysts under my armpits and sought my doctor's advice. He gave me antiseptic soap to wash the area with, 3 times a day. It either worked or they just went away on their own. With the summer months and the increased sweating, I have had a recurrence and found the best solution is to just let them be and they eventually are absorbed back into my body. There is a syndrome named after someone that points out a certain trait where a person will develop cysts in their feet, penis and hands. I have them in 2 of the 3; maybe it just occurred on my scrotum and missed the penis. Hands and feet could cause issues later in life, but so far I'm just dealing with it. I hope my testimony helps.

Comment from: Karen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

An abscess is no joke especially when they reoccur. I have experienced an abscess on my thigh for many years, and I was given every antibiotic, Accutane, prednisone and various ointments. What helped me most was weight loss, turmeric capsules, and I continue to bathe in hot water. If fever is present peroxide will reduce the fever and clean the area. My doctor advised me to limit chocolate, Coke and milk. I love milk but only drink it once in a while now. I also occasionally use Butt paste. This is to relieve me of the drainage and odor these things can cause. It will dry the area for a while. Hope this helps someone. Also check out hidradenitis suppurativa. Good Luck!

Comment from: Mazza, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 07

I have a 2 inch long surgical incision done 2 weeks ago in my groin, it was stitched in the middle and left open at the ends. It seeped a steady stream for 9 days and seemed ok then it started to close up at the bottom end and started to ooze brownish smelly fluid at the top. I had a course of antibiotics and have kept it sealed up with Tegaderm patches, apart from washing daily, but it still smells and is all closing up. It should be opened and packed but they said it was too deep, hence stitches. I am menstruating now so I have to cover it up; and I work and walk about! I can't get to my doctors till end of week.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Breast infection, or mastitis, is a bact...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Abscess - Home Remedies

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess.