Viewer Comments: Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Comment from: Beenthere, (Patient) Published: September 29

I am currently recovering from what appears to be a perianal abscess. It had me bedridden for days. I searched online for home treatments and tried 2 of them. First was a mixture of baking soda with Bragg apple cider vinegar. I made a paste and placed it on the abscess. After the 3rd time the abscess began to discharge and relief was immediate. It went from pain level 10 to about a 7 to 8. The vinegar paste burned a little so I decided to try the more popular tea tree oil and turmeric paste. That also burned but I sucked it up and applied it for at least an hour at a time. I did these applications for about 4 days straight. It would help it discharge as much as possible and I also took Augmentin and then amoxicillin during the entire time. The abscess is still draining but I am around a pain level 3 so I am one happy girl. As a precaution, I am probably going to see a doctor, but just want others to know that if you find yourself in a bind, those 2 home remedies do work.

Comment from: SCS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

Ever since childhood I have had what the Navy doctors diagnosed as sebaceous cysts of the scrotum. As I grew through adolescence, so did the abscesses. I would use a needle to excise the 'cheese' while squeezing and let it heal on its own. I know now that wasn't the smartest procedure, but it worked. Later in life the number and frequency of the cysts have diminished dramatically and they barely developed. Now that I'm in my 50s, I have also developed cysts under my armpits and sought my doctor's advice. He gave me antiseptic soap to wash the area with, 3 times a day. It either worked or they just went away on their own. With the summer months and the increased sweating, I have had a recurrence and found the best solution is to just let them be and they eventually are absorbed back into my body. There is a syndrome named after someone that points out a certain trait where a person will develop cysts in their feet, penis and hands. I have them in 2 of the 3; maybe it just occurred on my scrotum and missed the penis. Hands and feet could cause issues later in life, but so far I'm just dealing with it. I hope my testimony helps.

Comment from: Karen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

An abscess is no joke especially when they reoccur. I have experienced an abscess on my thigh for many years, and I was given every antibiotic, Accutane, prednisone and various ointments. What helped me most was weight loss, turmeric capsules, and I continue to bathe in hot water. If fever is present peroxide will reduce the fever and clean the area. My doctor advised me to limit chocolate, Coke and milk. I love milk but only drink it once in a while now. I also occasionally use Butt paste. This is to relieve me of the drainage and odor these things can cause. It will dry the area for a while. Hope this helps someone. Also check out hidradenitis suppurativa. Good Luck!

Comment from: jojo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I know it may sound really strange but I was in so much pain from recurrent abscesses (I had around 10- 6 or 7 of them were 'operated' on and some made my leg swell twice the size with the abscess in between the size of an egg and a cricket ball). The abscesses were usually on my leg or in my arm pit; I had one in my rectum area too. I had been to the doctors so many times and put on dicloxicillin which seemed to help at the time, yet they still kept on recurring. I searched and searched the internet for answers and cures and I stumbled upon earth clinic that seemed to have a number of people who had raved about turmeric (over 300 out of 320- something like that- people had said it worked for them when having recurring boils). So I gave it a try- it tastes horrible, I mixed 1 to 2 teaspoons with hot water then downed it. I probably did this for a couple of weeks daily. I think there are capsules you can get if you really hate the taste. It really worked for me. Then I followed the instructions that if I ever felt another one coming (once or twice I had the start of a lump) and it went right down after drinking turmeric. Sorry if this doesn't work for you, but if it can help someone I will feel happy that I wrote this. I know I was desperate and am so happy I found this simple cure- with almost no side effects.

Comment from: jwark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

Thanks to whoever mentioned turmeric. It has worked wonders for me.

Comment from: kinkyto, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I have been HIV+ for over 20 years now, and thanks to medical treatment, I have been pretty much in good health. I've been able to keep working. A few months ago I started having severe pain on my right hip. I went to the ER, and after a few tests I was diagnosed with an abscess on the head of the right femur. The abscess was first aspirated (fine needle guided). Then I have surgery on the hip to remove any abscess let and check on the bone for osteomyelitis.

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I developed a bad abscess on my pelvis. It had gone from a small bump to the size of a baseball in just four short days. I went to the ER and they admitted me immediately. Within 24 hours I was in surgery. The result was a giant hole in my pelvis and three days of IV antibiotics. Now I am attending a wound care clinic every four days and the doctor said it will be quite some time before I heal. What a crazy place for an abscess to develop!

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?