Viewer Comments: Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Comment from: jojo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I know it may sound really strange but I was in so much pain from recurrent abscesses (I had around 10- 6 or 7 of them were 'operated' on and some made my leg swell twice the size with the abscess in between the size of an egg and a cricket ball). The abscesses were usually on my leg or in my arm pit; I had one in my rectum area too. I had been to the doctors so many times and put on dicloxicillin which seemed to help at the time, yet they still kept on recurring. I searched and searched the internet for answers and cures and I stumbled upon earth clinic that seemed to have a number of people who had raved about turmeric (over 300 out of 320- something like that- people had said it worked for them when having recurring boils). So I gave it a try- it tastes horrible, I mixed 1 to 2 teaspoons with hot water then downed it. I probably did this for a couple of weeks daily. I think there are capsules you can get if you really hate the taste. It really worked for me. Then I followed the instructions that if I ever felt another one coming (once or twice I had the start of a lump) and it went right down after drinking turmeric. Sorry if this doesn't work for you, but if it can help someone I will feel happy that I wrote this. I know I was desperate and am so happy I found this simple cure- with almost no side effects.

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I developed a bad abscess on my pelvis. It had gone from a small bump to the size of a baseball in just four short days. I went to the ER and they admitted me immediately. Within 24 hours I was in surgery. The result was a giant hole in my pelvis and three days of IV antibiotics. Now I am attending a wound care clinic every four days and the doctor said it will be quite some time before I heal. What a crazy place for an abscess to develop!

Comment from: tamjay27, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had two abscess surgeries in the past three months. That's two open wounds with packing under my left armpit. I now have four (abcesses) under my right armpit. I'd really like to know what's causing these, but my doctor cannot tell me and I am very upset.

Comment from: p.a girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I've been dealing with abscesses since I was 20. I'm 31 now. I currently have one under each arm and one underneath my breast. I've been to the emergency room twice this week and the ER doctor said they weren't ready to be drained and sent me home with antibiotics that usually don't work.

Comment from: aussiemum32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have suffered from abscesses since I was 16 years old. I am now 33 years old. Antibiotics don't work and I am allergic to penicillin. I have tried every type of soap, cream, over counter, and prescription known to man. 10 years ago I was told that I would have to have my sweat glands removed and skin grafts over my armpits to get rid of them. Since then they have spread to my groin, and I have tremendous scars as a result, I am constantly self-conscious of them, and whenever someone sees the scars, I have to tell them. I have yet to find a treatment that works. I have had about three surgically removed. I am happy and sad knowing there are others out there suffering. This is painful, and I would wish nothing more than a cure to be found. In the meantime, I would try follow the advice of others who have shared things they have tried and keep my fingers crossed. If it works for me, I will be sure to share my experience so that others may find relief from this horrible skin condition.

Comment from: Abscessmagnet, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I have at least three or four abscesses drained in a year. I have been having this problem for about 12 years now. I am a 38 year old male and I am constantly going to the hospital to have them drained and packed. This makes it hard to keep a job. I also suffer from severe anxiety so I believe stress also plays a big part in this. They are very painful and can be very debilitating.

Comment from: Maxi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have has several abscesses and am about to have one lanced today. No antibiotics work for me.

Comment from: Anon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

In September I was diagnosed with cellulitis and abscess of the buttock. I also got sepsis from this infection. It stemmed from a cut I got from shaving my bikini area. The infection tunneled through that area and ended up swelling my left buttock. I immediately went the ER, I was weak, could not walk or sit and was in excruciating pain. That night in the hospital it burst near my anus. The next day I was in surgery and they had to go in and finish draining it and removing any dead cells. It was extremely painful, humiliating and humbling. Afterwards, I had a nurse come to my home daily to pack the wound. If they do not heal properly it can lead to a fistula. Hopefully this won't happen again, as it has still not healed completely and I am in the second month. Please take good care of your body. If you cut yourself take the proper precautions. I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?