Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

I am 48 years old and for the first time had three abscesses in a two-week period. It was very painful and in a most intricate areas. I had to go to the emergency room. They were drained and are healing. I hope I never have to go through this again.

Comment from: Fran, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had breast augmentation 9 weeks ago. 5 weeks after surgery abscess stated forming around my areola which my health care provider has informed me is due to the dissolvable stitches not dissolving properly. It is very distressing because as one abscess goes another one appears. I am very worried! However the health care practitioner isn't. I had this surgery done because I have three children and breast fed them all. I have lost eight stones and have been a size 8-10 for the past nine years. Due to the significant weight lost my breast were out of proportion and misshapen. My GP got me the funding to have this procedure done on the NHS. She knew that this was very distressing for me. I only wanted to have an uplift because I didn't really want to have silicones put in. Every plastics consultant that I spoke to said that due to my extensive weight loss I needed them to fill out the skin that was there.The plastic surgeon did the most amazing job but I'm wishing I hadn't gone through with this procedure now that I have these abscesses.

Comment from: rhmccoy1963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had several abscesses on my inner thigh and back of my thighs. I had to have three of them lanced because they were so painful. I tried lancing them myself, but only got them infected. I have diabetes and am told high blood sugars can attribute to abscesses. I have a sit-down job and moving around in my office chair irritates the abscesses.

Comment from: thompsonstoy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

My abscess was vaginal. It was caused from my daughter laying in the birth canal too long. This is very painful.

Comment from: Mel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had Crohn's disease for about 35 years. Four years ago I had my first perirectal abscess and I had 6 surgeries.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

My abscess started on my buttocks. I'm 30 and never had one. I felt what I thought it was a pimple so I scratched it then squeezed it. It immediately swelled up and puss/blood came out. Then I somehow touched my eyelid and created another. Then I developed another one on my chin. I went to the hospital, where they prescribed me antibiotics.

Comment from: Dr.H, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a lump on my back that never bothered me for about a year, then got red and started to hurt all of a sudden. I went to the doctor and without even telling me if it was an abscess or a boil, he had scheduled for it to be lanced and gave me an antibiotic. I never heard back from them on when it was scheduled for. While I was at working one night, it decided to pop.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: August 11

I am 21 years old and I do not have any illnesses or skin problems at all, but I am prone to skin abscesses and have had at least one abscess a year since I was nine years old. They range anywhere from the size of a golf ball to the size of a baseball, and have been on my face, legs, back and most commonly in the armpits. As everyone else has said, they are excruciatingly painful. In my experiences, the second i felt one coming on, I called the doctor and immediately asked for antibiotics. They work in a matter of a few days for me, which is helpful so I don't have to go though getting them drained. Almost every time I visit the doctor, they tell me to monitor the abscess and apply hot compresses; after 3 or 4 times doing this on separate occasions, it DOES NOT WORK. I have to convince the doctor that it does not work in my case. Not everyone's case may be as serious as mine, and hot compresses may work for others, but definitely not for me.

Comment from: Momma1, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

I started getting abscesses when I was around 9 in my underarms and I am now 21 years old I still get them regularly. I have only had one that had to be lanced and drained because it was so painful, it was in my groin area, they gave me 6 shots of local anesthetics and I still felt every bit of it. I'm not sure if they are hereditary but last night I had to take my son (19 months) to the ER because he had one on his buttock. It was the worst thing I have had to go through in my entire life.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?