Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Comment from: Miller's pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Wow I didn't know so many others suffered as I do. I have been getting abscesses since I was 15, now I'm 33 and they are very very painful. I just had one lanced yesterday on my leg which turned out to be more serious this time because I have a staph infection called MRSA which can kill. I also had one a month ago in my armpit which had to be lanced. I do think that stress plays a big part in me getting them which is difficult because the pain from abscess adds more stress, which adds more abscesses. Last year I had six abscesses at one time which is called a carbuncle, now that was severe pain. I couldn't walk or sit for two weeks. I'm glad but sad to see others going through so much pain.

Comment from: mab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had recurring breast abscess for nine months and on constant antibiotics. It reduces to a hard lump after treatment but returns again in two or three weeks. Eventually last week, after the antibiotics were not working referred yet again to surgeon who admitted me straight away to hospital and had it drained under general rather than local as it was so large and painful. I spent three days in the hospital on numerous IV antibiotics and now I suffer the daily changes of packed open wound. Now I am told this was just the remedial work, I will need a second operation to remove the hardened lump and any infected breast tissue to stop it from recurring. They waited until it was an emergency before doing anything.

I am 48 years old and for the first time had three abscesses in a two-week period. It was very painful and in a most intricate areas. I had to go to the emergency room. They were drained and are healing. I hope I never have to go through this again.

Comment from: Fran, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had breast augmentation 9 weeks ago. 5 weeks after surgery abscess stated forming around my areola which my health care provider has informed me is due to the dissolvable stitches not dissolving properly. It is very distressing because as one abscess goes another one appears. I am very worried! However the health care practitioner isn't. I had this surgery done because I have three children and breast fed them all. I have lost eight stones and have been a size 8-10 for the past nine years. Due to the significant weight lost my breast were out of proportion and misshapen. My GP got me the funding to have this procedure done on the NHS. She knew that this was very distressing for me. I only wanted to have an uplift because I didn't really want to have silicones put in. Every plastics consultant that I spoke to said that due to my extensive weight loss I needed them to fill out the skin that was there.The plastic surgeon did the most amazing job but I'm wishing I hadn't gone through with this procedure now that I have these abscesses.

Comment from: rhmccoy1963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had several abscesses on my inner thigh and back of my thighs. I had to have three of them lanced because they were so painful. I tried lancing them myself, but only got them infected. I have diabetes and am told high blood sugars can attribute to abscesses. I have a sit-down job and moving around in my office chair irritates the abscesses.

Comment from: thompsonstoy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

My abscess was vaginal. It was caused from my daughter laying in the birth canal too long. This is very painful.

Comment from: Mel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had Crohn's disease for about 35 years. Four years ago I had my first perirectal abscess and I had 6 surgeries.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

My abscess started on my buttocks. I'm 30 and never had one. I felt what I thought it was a pimple so I scratched it then squeezed it. It immediately swelled up and puss/blood came out. Then I somehow touched my eyelid and created another. Then I developed another one on my chin. I went to the hospital, where they prescribed me antibiotics.

Comment from: Dr.H, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a lump on my back that never bothered me for about a year, then got red and started to hurt all of a sudden. I went to the doctor and without even telling me if it was an abscess or a boil, he had scheduled for it to be lanced and gave me an antibiotic. I never heard back from them on when it was scheduled for. While I was at working one night, it decided to pop.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Breast infection, or mastitis, is a bact...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?

Abscess - Home Remedies

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess.