Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Comment from: thompsonstoy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

My abscess was vaginal. It was caused from my daughter laying in the birth canal too long. This is very painful.

Comment from: Mel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had Crohn's disease for about 35 years. Four years ago I had my first perirectal abscess and I had 6 surgeries.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

My abscess started on my buttocks. I'm 30 and never had one. I felt what I thought it was a pimple so I scratched it then squeezed it. It immediately swelled up and puss/blood came out. Then I somehow touched my eyelid and created another. Then I developed another one on my chin. I went to the hospital, where they prescribed me antibiotics.

Comment from: Dr.H, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I had a lump on my back that never bothered me for about a year, then got red and started to hurt all of a sudden. I went to the doctor and without even telling me if it was an abscess or a boil, he had scheduled for it to be lanced and gave me an antibiotic. I never heard back from them on when it was scheduled for. While I was at working one night, it decided to pop.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: August 11

I am 21 years old and I do not have any illnesses or skin problems at all, but I am prone to skin abscesses and have had at least one abscess a year since I was nine years old. They range anywhere from the size of a golf ball to the size of a baseball, and have been on my face, legs, back and most commonly in the armpits. As everyone else has said, they are excruciatingly painful. In my experiences, the second i felt one coming on, I called the doctor and immediately asked for antibiotics. They work in a matter of a few days for me, which is helpful so I don't have to go though getting them drained. Almost every time I visit the doctor, they tell me to monitor the abscess and apply hot compresses; after 3 or 4 times doing this on separate occasions, it DOES NOT WORK. I have to convince the doctor that it does not work in my case. Not everyone's case may be as serious as mine, and hot compresses may work for others, but definitely not for me.

Comment from: Momma1, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

I started getting abscesses when I was around 9 in my underarms and I am now 21 years old I still get them regularly. I have only had one that had to be lanced and drained because it was so painful, it was in my groin area, they gave me 6 shots of local anesthetics and I still felt every bit of it. I'm not sure if they are hereditary but last night I had to take my son (19 months) to the ER because he had one on his buttock. It was the worst thing I have had to go through in my entire life.

Comment from: IAMPAINFREENOW, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I developed an abscess too. At first we thought it was a pimple (inner thigh). I went to the doctor and he put me on antibiotics right away for 14 days. By the third week it flared up and I ended up in the E.R. The doctor explained that they would have to do an "incision and drainage" on it. She injected my abscess with something so that I couldn't feel the cut. She cleaned it and packed it. I'm to return in two days so they can take that off, but I instantly felt relief. Got my antibiotics, pain meds, and my sanity back!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I got my first and only abscess so far from a suture about 1 month after a surgery on my finger. The stitch is holding my ligaments together. It is painful and we hope that it will go away with clindamycin. On the other hand, taking clindamycin has its own risks such as developing C-Diff

Comment from: kscrppr, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

My daughter, who was 11 at the time she had her first abscess, now is 12 and has her second in the exact same spot, upper thigh. Dr. said it was due to an infected hair follicle. I am fearful that it will continue to happen. She had the first one drained/removed surgically and the second we are in the process of changing antibiotics and drainage in two days. We caught it early this time, so it's not as painful as the first time, but still pesky.

Comment from: bbb, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My son has several abscesses all over his back. Some time they drain by themself, green or white or even bloody puse. We clean his back and put prescription cream on him but it does't help a lot. On his chest the has at lease four or five at this time. His back is doing a little better.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?