Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Comment from: Momma1, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

I started getting abscesses when I was around 9 in my underarms and I am now 21 years old I still get them regularly. I have only had one that had to be lanced and drained because it was so painful, it was in my groin area, they gave me 6 shots of local anesthetics and I still felt every bit of it. I'm not sure if they are hereditary but last night I had to take my son (19 months) to the ER because he had one on his buttock. It was the worst thing I have had to go through in my entire life.

Comment from: IAMPAINFREENOW, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I developed an abscess too. At first we thought it was a pimple (inner thigh). I went to the doctor and he put me on antibiotics right away for 14 days. By the third week it flared up and I ended up in the E.R. The doctor explained that they would have to do an "incision and drainage" on it. She injected my abscess with something so that I couldn't feel the cut. She cleaned it and packed it. I'm to return in two days so they can take that off, but I instantly felt relief. Got my antibiotics, pain meds, and my sanity back!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I got my first and only abscess so far from a suture about 1 month after a surgery on my finger. The stitch is holding my ligaments together. It is painful and we hope that it will go away with clindamycin. On the other hand, taking clindamycin has its own risks such as developing C-Diff

Comment from: kscrppr, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

My daughter, who was 11 at the time she had her first abscess, now is 12 and has her second in the exact same spot, upper thigh. Dr. said it was due to an infected hair follicle. I am fearful that it will continue to happen. She had the first one drained/removed surgically and the second we are in the process of changing antibiotics and drainage in two days. We caught it early this time, so it's not as painful as the first time, but still pesky.

Comment from: bbb, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My son has several abscesses all over his back. Some time they drain by themself, green or white or even bloody puse. We clean his back and put prescription cream on him but it does't help a lot. On his chest the has at lease four or five at this time. His back is doing a little better.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Breast infection, or mastitis, is a bact...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Home Remedies

Please describe any home remedies that you tried for a skin abscess.

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?