Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Comment from: aprila, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My daughter, now 6, had many MRSA abscesses when she was a baby and a few of my other kids had some as well. She only ended up in the hospital for surgical drainage once and a couple of times in the ER for IV antibiotics. I learned how to drain them at home before they became too bad but she was on Clindamycin many times. We found that there are carriers of MRSA and you carry it in your nose so if you continually get them make sure you wash your hands frequently especially during a cold or runny nose. Also you can put an antibiotic cream in your nose to prevent spread of infection. Even though she has Autism we finally got my daughter out of diapers which stopped the big infections and we take good care of her skin.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

Last year I noticed a red spot on my abdomen. A few days later, it was looking red, hot and painful. Later I noticed it was getting harder and harder. Having some medical knowledge, I knew it was an abscess. I was feeling sick, nauseated and I had chills. I went to urgent care and got a dose of IV antibiotics. I went to see my primary doctor and he sent me directly to urgent care to have it drained. I ended up getting wound care for a month.

Comment from: Miller's pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Wow I didn't know so many others suffered as I do. I have been getting abscesses since I was 15, now I'm 33 and they are very very painful. I just had one lanced yesterday on my leg which turned out to be more serious this time because I have a staph infection called MRSA which can kill. I also had one a month ago in my armpit which had to be lanced. I do think that stress plays a big part in me getting them which is difficult because the pain from abscess adds more stress, which adds more abscesses. Last year I had six abscesses at one time which is called a carbuncle, now that was severe pain. I couldn't walk or sit for two weeks. I'm glad but sad to see others going through so much pain.

Comment from: mab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had recurring breast abscess for nine months and on constant antibiotics. It reduces to a hard lump after treatment but returns again in two or three weeks. Eventually last week, after the antibiotics were not working referred yet again to surgeon who admitted me straight away to hospital and had it drained under general rather than local as it was so large and painful. I spent three days in the hospital on numerous IV antibiotics and now I suffer the daily changes of packed open wound. Now I am told this was just the remedial work, I will need a second operation to remove the hardened lump and any infected breast tissue to stop it from recurring. They waited until it was an emergency before doing anything.

I am 48 years old and for the first time had three abscesses in a two-week period. It was very painful and in a most intricate areas. I had to go to the emergency room. They were drained and are healing. I hope I never have to go through this again.

Comment from: Fran, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had breast augmentation 9 weeks ago. 5 weeks after surgery abscess stated forming around my areola which my health care provider has informed me is due to the dissolvable stitches not dissolving properly. It is very distressing because as one abscess goes another one appears. I am very worried! However the health care practitioner isn't. I had this surgery done because I have three children and breast fed them all. I have lost eight stones and have been a size 8-10 for the past nine years. Due to the significant weight lost my breast were out of proportion and misshapen. My GP got me the funding to have this procedure done on the NHS. She knew that this was very distressing for me. I only wanted to have an uplift because I didn't really want to have silicones put in. Every plastics consultant that I spoke to said that due to my extensive weight loss I needed them to fill out the skin that was there.The plastic surgeon did the most amazing job but I'm wishing I hadn't gone through with this procedure now that I have these abscesses.

Comment from: rhmccoy1963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had several abscesses on my inner thigh and back of my thighs. I had to have three of them lanced because they were so painful. I tried lancing them myself, but only got them infected. I have diabetes and am told high blood sugars can attribute to abscesses. I have a sit-down job and moving around in my office chair irritates the abscesses.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Mastitis is an infection of the tissue of the breast that occurs most frequently during the time of breastfeeding. This infection causes pain, swelling, redness...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?