Viewer Comments: Abscess - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Cause

What was the cause of your abscess?

Comment from: GE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I sympathize with all of you guys and gals. I had a penile implant installed 3 years ago and 6 months later I had a groin infection. It was so bad that my doctor immediately scheduled me for surgery the same day I went in to his office. Altogether, I've had 5 surgeries, the first to install the implant, the second to disinfect the area, the third to change the implant, the fourth to remove the implant and the last was to disinfect again the area. I have been in so much pain and missed so much work that it is ridiculous. My last surgery was a few months ago, I've had a cyst/boil (whatever) twice since. I was lucky enough that the wound the doctor made was still deep enough for my infection to bust. The doctors tell me they don't know what is causing this. My nurse (who is wonderful) took a culture last week and it shows I have 3 different strains of bacterial infection. I hope all of you guys get some kind of relief from this. I wish I could give you all a better story.

Comment from: aprila, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My daughter, now 6, had many MRSA abscesses when she was a baby and a few of my other kids had some as well. She only ended up in the hospital for surgical drainage once and a couple of times in the ER for IV antibiotics. I learned how to drain them at home before they became too bad but she was on Clindamycin many times. We found that there are carriers of MRSA and you carry it in your nose so if you continually get them make sure you wash your hands frequently especially during a cold or runny nose. Also you can put an antibiotic cream in your nose to prevent spread of infection. Even though she has Autism we finally got my daughter out of diapers which stopped the big infections and we take good care of her skin.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Don't wait, please seek medical advice. Perianal abscesses will not heal by themselves, they get deeper, bigger and ultimately will cause a lot of suffering. My doctor ignored me for 2.5 weeks, kept giving me flucloxacillin which did not good whatsoever. Yes, they are embarrassing but that won't kill you, if left it is a whole lot more embarrassing getting the wound repacked and dressed each day for weeks. Please do seek medical advice. Emergency surgery is no fun, I am fastidious in my cleanliness, you're not to blame they happen.

Comment from: Pam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I've had recurrent abscesses since I was 15. I'm now 35. I've had more than 30 operations to have them drained. I've had them under my arm; on both legs; under my breast; on my groin, and on my bottom. Doctors don't know why, but when I'm stressed I get them. It's very draining and keeps me from holding down a job.

Comment from: SatyaRaj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

A small wound due an accident is source for my abscess. After a week, I started developing pus and painful red skin around the wound and my doctor mentioned it is due the germs getting in from wound due improper care.

Comment from: Booga Lew, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My abscess was attributed to a staph infection (MRSA) subsequent to partial knee replacement surgery. I had painful abscess bumps on my behind and underarms. Doxycycline would cure it for 3-5 weeks then it would recur.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

Last year I noticed a red spot on my abdomen. A few days later, it was looking red, hot and painful. Later I noticed it was getting harder and harder. Having some medical knowledge, I knew it was an abscess. I was feeling sick, nauseated and I had chills. I went to urgent care and got a dose of IV antibiotics. I went to see my primary doctor and he sent me directly to urgent care to have it drained. I ended up getting wound care for a month.

Comment from: Miller's pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Wow I didn't know so many others suffered as I do. I have been getting abscesses since I was 15, now I'm 33 and they are very very painful. I just had one lanced yesterday on my leg which turned out to be more serious this time because I have a staph infection called MRSA which can kill. I also had one a month ago in my armpit which had to be lanced. I do think that stress plays a big part in me getting them which is difficult because the pain from abscess adds more stress, which adds more abscesses. Last year I had six abscesses at one time which is called a carbuncle, now that was severe pain. I couldn't walk or sit for two weeks. I'm glad but sad to see others going through so much pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Abscess

Anal Abscess
Anal Abscess Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Breast Infection
Breast Infection Breast infection, or mastitis, is a bact...learn more >>
Dental Abscess
Dental Abscess Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Abscess:

Abscess - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your abscess?