Achilles Tendon Rupture (cont.)
Prognosis of Achilles Tendon Rupture
- The majority of people return to normal activity levels with either surgical or nonsurgical treatment.
- Most studies indicate a better outcome with surgery. Athletes can expect a faster return to activity with a lower incidence that the injury will happen again. Physiotherapy can expedite recovery time.
- Typically as the rupture site heals, a small lump remains from the scarring. Atrophy of the adjacent calf muscle is not uncommon.
- Weight bearing commonly begins at about six weeks with a heel support.
- Return to running or athletics is traditionally about four to six months. With motivation and rigorous physical therapy, elite athletes may return to athletics as early as
three months after injury.
Christopher C Nannini, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Achilles Tendon Rupture
A tendon is the fibrous tissue that attaches muscle to bone in the human body. The forces applied to a tendon may be more than 5 times your body weight. Symptom...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Achilles Tendon Rupture: