Viewer Comments: Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Achilles Tendon Rupture:

Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Achilles tendon rupture?

Comment from: Malik, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I'm a 49-year-old male. I had full rupture Achilles tendon. I had a surgery 10 days after getting injured. I had my foot in casting for 9 weeks. Now, I took off cast and walk regularly.

Comment from: Fire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I ruptured my Achilles while at work, I am a firefighter and I work out in the gym regularly. My orthopedist wants to keep me immobilized rather than surgery.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I partially ruptured my Achilles tendon a week ago, falling backwards down some steps in Venice. Intense pain and shock convinced my wife to call for an ambulance. Ultrasound scan and diagnosis by orthopaedic specialist led to a decision to go the non-surgical route. So far I am spending time in bed interspersed with regular walks in the apartment on crutches, with the leg encased in a rigid splint.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am a 34 year old female. I tore my Achilles tendon playing kickball with family. I had surgery within a week, cast for 8 weeks. Now that I'm out of the cast, I'm dealing with constant swelling. It's getting better every day. It's definitely a long healing process.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I am a 38 year old male, who after not playing rugby for 8 years, had my arm twisted to play. I train regularly in a gym, three to four times a week. I turned up to the first training session and joined in a game of touch rugby, and within 10 minutes I had ruptured my Achilles tendon! I am now in a cast and looking at 8-12 week recovery plan. My advice would be simple, as you get older, allow more time to stretch and warm up. 15-20 minutes stretching and warm up could have saved me 12 weeks recovery time!

Comment from: Jazzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

At the age of 52, I tore my Achilles tendon with my normal extensive workout schedule and needed surgery! A year later after surgery I'm still recovering back to my normal activities. What a long road to recovery!!!

Comment from: Mel427, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I ruptured my Achilles tendon four days ago in a basketball game. I am a 37-year-old PE teacher and an avid runner. Treatment was surgery. I am in a cast and will eventually move to a walking boot and eventually on to my own foot. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in 3 months, starting slowly of course. This will be hard, but I will follow all directives for proper healing.

Comment from: Dwight L. Bates, DPM, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I suffered an Achilles tendon rupture while playing handball at age 32 when I was a podiatry student. My injury was treated with a long leg cast and brace. I got an excellent result, but I have not played handball since. I jogged 5-7 days per week until about age 55. Arthritis of both feet made me stop running finally.

Must Read Articles Related to Achilles Tendon Rupture

Ruptured Tendon
Ruptured Tendon A tendon is the fibrous tissue that attaches muscle to bone in the human body. The forces applied to a tendon may be more than 5 times your body weight. Symptom...learn more >>