Viewer Comments: Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Achilles Tendon Rupture:

Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Achilles tendon rupture?

Comment from: Conor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I'm a 30 year old male and I ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 months ago playing a hurling match. I was also playing a lot of squash leading up to my injury. I think myself the mixture of both the field sport and court sport resulted in my injury. I had surgery within 3 days of the rupture and thankfully no cast was put in place just bandage. It's a long slow recovery but went for my first jog this evening. My advice to anyone who has had this injury is to insist on surgery rather than a cast and take your time recovering.

Comment from: meangreen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 13 days ago in an over 50 age basketball league game. I am a 55-year-old teacher and used to be an avid runner. I have been playing for the past three years. I varied my warm up routine and believe that was the cause of my injury. Treatment was surgery five days after injury. I am in a splint now and will be re-evaluated in three days. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in three months, starting slowly of course.

Comment from: DaveM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I am 56 years old. I ruptured my Achilles tendon while playing tennis. I went the non-surgical route and I chose aggressive mobility. I was in a “walking cast.” I play golf three days after my tear, I walked normally, and I even helped a buddy move!

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I am a 62-year-old man. I'm still very active. I've trained for most of my life. I still work out four times per week and play golf twice per week. Two weeks ago, I completely tore my Achilles tendon when I was jumping rope with my grandkids. I had surgery two days after the tear. I wore a bandage for a week, and for the past week, I've been wearing a boot. I see a specialist in five more weeks.

Comment from: ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 3 weeks ago playing basketball. I have played most of my life until about 2 years ago. I exercise regularly with weightlifting and cardio in the gym. This was the first time I played hoops in 2 years. I simply tried to make a quick cut and the pain was immediate. I looked behind me to see if someone on the sideline threw something at me for some reason. Then I realized I had just ruptured my achilles. I had surgery 3 days later, the pain that night of surgery was intense. I was then casted for 2 weeks. Now I am in a boot but still not weight bearing. I go back to the ortho in 2 weeks to get an update and hopefully schedule rehab. I am a 36 years old male.

Comment from: Terri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I ruptured my Achilles tendon eight weeks ago and have been in half-leg plaster.

Comment from: daytona, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I am a 57-year-old male. I ruptured my Achilles just getting into my car after watching an MLB game. It was the most painful thing I have experienced. I am debating whether to have surgery or to take the long casting route.

Comment from: bikeguy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a full rupture of the Achilles while skiing, and surgery four days later. It has been eight weeks to date since injury. Three weeks casted.

Comment from: Bob68, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I ruptured my achilles playing basketball. I had surgery three days later. Two weeks after that, I received a walking boot. It was nice to be able to shower and move my foot. I'm about five weeks out of surgery and not using crutches.

Comment from: Malik, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I'm a 49-year-old male. I had full rupture Achilles tendon. I had a surgery 10 days after getting injured. I had my foot in casting for 9 weeks. Now, I took off cast and walk regularly.

Comment from: Fire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I ruptured my Achilles while at work, I am a firefighter and I work out in the gym regularly. My orthopedist wants to keep me immobilized rather than surgery.

Must Read Articles Related to Achilles Tendon Rupture

Ruptured Tendon
Ruptured Tendon A tendon is the fibrous tissue that attaches muscle to bone in the human body. The forces applied to a tendon may be more than 5 times your body weight. Symptom...learn more >>