Viewer Comments: GERD - Medications

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acid Reflux (GERD):

GERD - Medications

What over-the-counter or prescription medications have been effective in treating your case of GERD?

Comment from: marlene, Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have suffered the agonies of GERD for about eight to ten years. In 2011 I had surgery for a large hiatal hernia. I thought surely this would cure me. It didn't! I've been on about seven or eight GERD medications; none of which helped me at all. I followed all the do's and don'ts, none of which helped me. But, I have cured myself! I threw out all the prescription medications, went to the health food store and bought three different products, which have 98 percent taken care of the problem. These products are Advanced Enzyme System and Betaine HCI with pepsin and DGL, which is a licorice extract. I don't take all of them for each and every meal. Sometimes I only take the enzyme. Not saying I'm going to go out and eat pizza (well, maybe once in a while) but I've said goodbye to GERD and goodbye to all the poisonous prescription medicines!

Comment from: Asma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori six years ago. I took the treatment for it and suffer a lot from all the GERD symptoms. What helped me was pomegranate powder. Either the seed or the peel after mixing it with sugar, it is a little bit sour, but I hope everyone gives it a try.

Comment from: gg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

For a long time, years in fact, when I got the cough associated with acid reflux, drinking water helped. I guess it rinsed the acid down my throat and it stopped the irritation. Lately, aloe vera gel from the health food store helps my GERD. I take it at night, the very last thing before going to bed. I think it coats my throat. I just take a tablespoon. I am now bothered by the burn in the throat during the day but don't want to take Prilosec and such due to recent bad information on kidney damage.

Comment from: Cathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am very upset about new information about Prilosec. I use it every day for GEED and when I go off of it, I suffer pain. I have tried Nexium, but even though I can use it for a couple of days, Nexium makes me sick. I am afraid to go off Prilosec. One day I will try, but I will have to rely on Rolaids and Tums like I did long ago. It is very hard to fall asleep raised up high. I do use a couple of pillows. I watch my diet, because if I don't I get sick. I love tomato foods, but they don't love me. I can cheat once in a while. I think the trouble with Prilosec and other medications like it is you can get it over the counter. So instead of people watching what they eat, they just take a pill. If people just decide to go off Prilosec cold turkey, they will have a rebound of serious attacks. Everyone I know has GERD. I wonder if it is something in the food or in my eating patterns. I just don't know. Maybe we were not meant to eat non-foods.

Comment from: farhanah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

While on Prilosec I never had any relief at all. I suffered from excessive belching, indigestion and heartburn all day long. I switched to Aciphex and it was very wondeful. My insurance refused to cover it, however, and then I was given Protonix it barely helped me. It helped 40% with the indigestion but there was always a lingering of stomach acid lurking within my stomach. I really wish that I could find something that helps with the burning sensation in my chest and the indigestion.

Comment from: lilycolon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have GERD for about 5 months ago. I had my Gallbladder taken out and symptoms are worse. I have the burning in the throat and acid taste on tongue. I am on Nexium but this medication is not helping me. I am going insane and do not want to continue feeling this way.

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia after being hospitalized with dehydration because I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. When I recovered everything was fine with some occasional heartburn. The about 3-4 years ago I developed a chronic cough which I thought was due to post-nasal drip -- however the ENT doctor could find nothing with the sinuses, so when I told him of the hiatal hernia, be had me try Nexium. After two weeks, the cough was gone. He told me to try coming off the Nexium after about 8 weeks. I did and within 2 months the cough was back bad as ever. I went back on the Nexium, but this time it took about 1-1/2 months before it seemed to work. It's now usually enough to take Nexium in the morning 1/2 hour before meals - however, whenever I get a cold or allergy symptoms, it seems to aggravate the the ARD again and I'm coughing long after the cold is gone. Sometimes the addition of Gavison to my day starting with Nexium helps until the rekindled ARD is under control again. Sometimes it doesn't work - like now. I think I will try the gum chewing route/the ginger and see if that works.

Must Read Articles Related to Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)

GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>
Heartburn FAQs
Heartburn FAQs Heartburn FAQ including information about the c...learn more >>
GERD and Heartburn Medications
Understanding Heartburn/GERD Medications GERD and heartburn medications include:
  • antacids,
  • histamine-2 blockers,
  • proton pump inhibitors (PPIs),
  • coating drug...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acid Reflux (GERD):

GERD - Home Remedies

What lifestyle changes or home changes have you made that have been successful in managing GERD?

Acid Reflux (GERD) - Experience

Please share your experience with acid reflux or GERD.

GERD - Symptoms and Signs

What were your GERD symptoms and signs?

GERD - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective in treating your case of GERD or acid reflux?