Viewer Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acid Reflux (GERD):

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

Heartburn symptoms caused by GERD are usually relieved by drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), such as Prilosec, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix, Nexium, Zegerid; however, sometimes they do not work well. Can you please describe your GERD symptoms that did not improve on PPIs? Did you find other treatments effective?

Comment from: farhanah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

While on Prilosec I never had any relief at all. I suffered from excessive belching, indigestion and heartburn all day long. I switched to Aciphex and it was very wondeful. My insurance refused to cover it, however, and then I was given Protonix it barely helped me. It helped 40% with the indigestion but there was always a lingering of stomach acid lurking within my stomach. I really wish that I could find something that helps with the burning sensation in my chest and the indigestion.

Comment from: lilycolon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have GERD for about 5 months ago. I had my Gallbladder taken out and symptoms are worse. I have the burning in the throat and acid taste on tongue. I am on Nexium but this medication is not helping me. I am going insane and do not want to continue feeling this way.

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia after being hospitalized with dehydration because I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. When I recovered everything was fine with some occasional heartburn. The about 3-4 years ago I developed a chronic cough which I thought was due to post-nasal drip -- however the ENT doctor could find nothing with the sinuses, so when I told him of the hiatal hernia, be had me try Nexium. After two weeks, the cough was gone. He told me to try coming off the Nexium after about 8 weeks. I did and within 2 months the cough was back bad as ever. I went back on the Nexium, but this time it took about 1-1/2 months before it seemed to work. It's now usually enough to take Nexium in the morning 1/2 hour before meals - however, whenever I get a cold or allergy symptoms, it seems to aggravate the the ARD again and I'm coughing long after the cold is gone. Sometimes the addition of Gavison to my day starting with Nexium helps until the rekindled ARD is under control again. Sometimes it doesn't work - like now. I think I will try the gum chewing route/the ginger and see if that works.

I have been taking Zegerid for the past four months. I also have recently finished treatment for H. pylori. I have noticed less stomach pain and less vomiting/nausea since beginning treatment. The frequency of belching after meals has decreased, but I am still affected by certain foods. The abdominal gas has increased and is accompanied by alternating diarrhea and constipation.

Comment from: MickOrton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had a terrible problem with Acid Reflux, especially at night when trying to go to sleep. On the suggestion of my personal trainer, I gave up carbonated drinks... ALL OF THEM. The problem cleared up immediately and has not returned. It has been over 30 days now!

Comment from: jude, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

It all started with breathing problems and constantly feeling out of breath. After GERD was established, I was prescribed three months of PPIs (omeprazole, 20 mg twice a day). It stops heartburn, but it has no effect on breathing, which was the only thing that really bothered me to begin with.

Comment from: Krismas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had great success with aleo vera juice three times a day for GERD. After 10 days, the problem was gone.

Comment from: Irene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've had a bitter taste in my mouth for the last three years. I was diagnosed with acid reflux and prescribed a PPI. I took it for more than one year and it never helped.

Comment from: Zuleibi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I been in pain for a year before I was finally diagnosed with GERD. I've been taking Prilosec and I still have symptoms. It's so annoying living with this pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>
Heartburn FAQs
Heartburn FAQs Heartburn FAQ including information about the causes of heartburn, lifestyle changes to reduce heartburn, OTC and prescription medications to decrease heartburn...learn more >>
GERD and Heartburn Medications
Understanding Heartburn/GERD Medications GERD and heartburn medications include antacids, histamine-2 blockers, proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), coating drugs, and promotility drugs. Side effects, drug i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acid Reflux (GERD):

GERD - Symptoms and Signs

What were your GERD symptoms and signs?