Viewer Comments: GERD - Medications

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acid Reflux (GERD):

GERD - Medications

What over-the-counter or prescription medications have been effective in treating your case of GERD?

Comment from: marlene, Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have suffered the agonies of GERD for about eight to ten years. In 2011 I had surgery for a large hiatal hernia. I thought surely this would cure me. It didn't! I've been on about seven or eight GERD medications; none of which helped me at all. I followed all the do's and don'ts, none of which helped me. But, I have cured myself! I threw out all the prescription medications, went to the health food store and bought three different products, which have 98 percent taken care of the problem. These products are Advanced Enzyme System and Betaine HCI with pepsin and DGL, which is a licorice extract. I don't take all of them for each and every meal. Sometimes I only take the enzyme. Not saying I'm going to go out and eat pizza (well, maybe once in a while) but I've said goodbye to GERD and goodbye to all the poisonous prescription medicines!

Comment from: Asma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori six years ago. I took the treatment for it and suffer a lot from all the GERD symptoms. What helped me was pomegranate powder. Either the seed or the peel after mixing it with sugar, it is a little bit sour, but I hope everyone gives it a try.

Comment from: farhanah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

While on Prilosec I never had any relief at all. I suffered from excessive belching, indigestion and heartburn all day long. I switched to Aciphex and it was very wondeful. My insurance refused to cover it, however, and then I was given Protonix it barely helped me. It helped 40% with the indigestion but there was always a lingering of stomach acid lurking within my stomach. I really wish that I could find something that helps with the burning sensation in my chest and the indigestion.

Comment from: lilycolon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have GERD for about 5 months ago. I had my Gallbladder taken out and symptoms are worse. I have the burning in the throat and acid taste on tongue. I am on Nexium but this medication is not helping me. I am going insane and do not want to continue feeling this way.

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia after being hospitalized with dehydration because I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. When I recovered everything was fine with some occasional heartburn. The about 3-4 years ago I developed a chronic cough which I thought was due to post-nasal drip -- however the ENT doctor could find nothing with the sinuses, so when I told him of the hiatal hernia, be had me try Nexium. After two weeks, the cough was gone. He told me to try coming off the Nexium after about 8 weeks. I did and within 2 months the cough was back bad as ever. I went back on the Nexium, but this time it took about 1-1/2 months before it seemed to work. It's now usually enough to take Nexium in the morning 1/2 hour before meals - however, whenever I get a cold or allergy symptoms, it seems to aggravate the the ARD again and I'm coughing long after the cold is gone. Sometimes the addition of Gavison to my day starting with Nexium helps until the rekindled ARD is under control again. Sometimes it doesn't work - like now. I think I will try the gum chewing route/the ginger and see if that works.

I have been taking Zegerid for the past four months. I also have recently finished treatment for H. pylori. I have noticed less stomach pain and less vomiting/nausea since beginning treatment. The frequency of belching after meals has decreased, but I am still affected by certain foods. The abdominal gas has increased and is accompanied by alternating diarrhea and constipation.

Comment from: MickOrton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had a terrible problem with Acid Reflux, especially at night when trying to go to sleep. On the suggestion of my personal trainer, I gave up carbonated drinks... ALL OF THEM. The problem cleared up immediately and has not returned. It has been over 30 days now!

Must Read Articles Related to Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)

GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>
Heartburn FAQs
Heartburn FAQs Heartburn FAQ including information about the causes of heartburn, lifestyle changes to reduce heartburn, OTC and prescription medications to decrease heartburn...learn more >>
GERD and Heartburn Medications
Understanding Heartburn/GERD Medications GERD and heartburn medications include antacids, histamine-2 blockers, proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), coating drugs, and promotility drugs. Side effects, drug i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acid Reflux (GERD):

Acid Reflux (GERD) - Experience

Please share your experience with acid reflux or GERD.

GERD - Home Remedies

What lifestyle changes or home changes have you made that have been successful in managing GERD?

GERD - Symptoms and Signs

What were your GERD symptoms and signs?

GERD - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective in treating your case of GERD or acid reflux?