Support Groups and Counseling
Living with acromegaly presents many new challenges, both for you and for your family and friends.
- You will probably have many worries about how the disease will affect you and your ability to "live a normal life." Will you be able to care for your family and home, hold your job, and continue the friendships and activities you enjoy?
- Many people feel anxiousor depressed. Some people feel angry and resentful; others feel helpless and defeated.
For most people with a serious disease, talking about their feelings and concerns helps.
- Your friends and family members can be very supportive. They may be hesitant to offer support until they see how you are coping. Don't wait for them to bring it up. If you want to talk about your concerns, let them know.
- Some people don't want to "burden" their loved ones, or prefer talking about their concerns with a more neutral professional. A social worker, counselor, or member of the clergy can be helpful if you want to discuss your feelings and concerns about having this condition. Your primary care provider or endocrinologist should be able to recommend someone.
- Many people with acromegaly are helped profoundly by talking to other people who have the disease. Sharing your concerns with others who have been through the same thing can be remarkably reassuring. This is why support groups exist. Because the disease is so rare, finding a support group in your area may be difficult, unless you live near a large medical center with many medical specialists. There are groups on the Internet that can help you find the support you need. If you do not have access to the Internet, go to your public library.
For more information about support groups, contact these agencies:
- Pituitary Network Association - (805) 499-9973
- The Hormone Foundation - (800) 467-6663
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/19/2014
Hasnain M Khandwala, MD, FRCPC
Arthur B Chausmer, MD, PhD, FACP, FACE, FACN, CNS
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Acromegaly
Acromegaly is a serious condition that occurs when the body produces too much of the hormones that control growth. This causes abnormal enlargement of bone, car...learn more >>
Understanding Acromegaly Medications
Acromegaly is a growth disorder caused by excessive production of growth hormone (GH) by the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is a hormone-producing organ a...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acromegaly: