Viewer Comments: Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma:

Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute-angle-closure glaucoma?

Comment from: cannotwait, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For three months I had been having very bad headaches and worsened when any pressure was physically applied or I was bending down. It hurts to cough and sneeze. I had a blood test done to rule out inflamed arteries and also a CT scan to rule out a tumor, it ruled out all of the above. I went the next step and had my eyes tested and I have acute angular glaucoma. I am now waiting for a specialist to get me in and relieve the pressure on my eye. I am so fed up with the wait and it is so hurting all the time. I have called several times to get an answer to when I can get in and I keep getting told three to five weeks!

Comment from: metoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

For one week I experienced pain, pressure, light sensitivity and a blood spot. Then my vision suddenly went very blurry, pain increased, and pressure intensified. I went to look in mirror see what I could see. I saw bright red blood which appeared to be pooling in inside corners of both eyes plus bloodshot whites and my eyes were filled with fluid. I decided to go to walk in clinic. My eye exam led to emergency visit to eye surgeon who made diagnosis: narrow angle glaucoma. The doctor got me on steroid drops 4 times daily and booked me for a laser peripheral iridotomy. My symptoms are now manageable with drops, affecting primarily one eye. The blood spot still there and there is also swelling and light sensitivity that causes pain. I also have lupus, but I don't think there is a connection.

Must Read Articles Related to Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma

Adult Glaucoma Suspect
Adult Glaucoma Suspect Glaucoma is usually high pressure inside the eye that damages the optic nerve and can result in permanent vision loss. Not all 3 criteria (that is, high pressur...learn more >>
Glaucoma FAQs
Glaucoma FAQs Glaucoma is usually high pressure inside the eye that damages the optic nerve and can result in permanent vision loss.learn more >>
Glaucoma
Glaucoma Overview Glaucoma refers to certain eye diseases that affect the optic nerve and cause vision loss. Most, but not all, of these diseases typically produce elevated press...learn more >>