Acute Kidney Failure (cont.)
Acute Kidney Failure Medications
The patient may be given medicines to treat the cause of the acute renal failure or to prevent complications.
- Antibiotics: To prevent or treat infections
- Diuretics (water pills): Quickly increase urine output
- Other medications: To get rid of extra fluid and prevent electrolyte imbalances
- Kayexalate (polystyrene sulfonate) is used to decrease buildup of potassium
- Sodium bicarbonate is used to decrease acid buildup
Must Read Articles Related to Acute Kidney Failure
Bladder cancer originate within the bladder. The bladder is a hollow organ within the body that stores and releases urine.learn more >>
Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed.
It pumps ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Acute Kidney Failure: