Viewer Comments: Adult ADHD - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about ADHD in Adults:

Adult ADHD - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of adult ADHD and how was it diagnosed?

Comment from: schachabybaby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

This was a very thorough and supportive article. I found several areas that I didn't know were affected by adult ADD. I think it's important to remember that all experience with ADD are not equal. While some may have minor issues with simple things like organization, some of us have much more devastating effects to overcome, many of which cause life-long feelings of failure in many arenas. When I was diagnosed, I was desperately trying to succeed at my job so that I would not be fired. Why so desperate? Because I have had the same difficulties succeeding at jobs my entire adult life (and in school as a child). I have two children who rely on me to be their ballast in a storm, not to have me be the storm. ADD affects other family members, too. Thank you for this informative information. Even those already diagnosed still have much to learn about this condition.

Comment from: Ross, 75 or over Male Published: September 10

I am 81 years old, and I have had ADHD since childhood. I have been on Ritalin for 12 years, beginning with 5 mg to 45 mg now. Each year, I discover new benefits from taking this medication. When I had high blood pressure, I would stop taking Ritalin (no problem) and would start again when I realized I was beginning to lose its benefits. There is no doubt it is a miracle drug. My bridge game improved and my golf game improved because I can practice for an hour without being bored.

Comment from: CTE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Let's be real. ADD a nuisance, it's a disability, it's a pain in the butt, but it is not the end of the world. Actually, it's a lot better to be diagnosed and understand what's going on than to agonize over all the things you've forgotten that are your "fault." I will always lose my keys. I will never be able to beat myself into being "organized" enough not to lose my keys. But I can recognize that and have two sets in easy reach, two more emergency sets, and a final dig-up-the-yard set for when all else fails. I can tell myself it's a legitimate problem and ask for help. I can give more keys to the neighbors, I can hire someone to go through the mail for me. I can concentrate on my skills instead of my weaknesses. Am I easily distracted, or am I creative? As the graduate of two ivy league universities (one graduate, one undergraduate), I can assure you there are lots of smart folks out there with ADD, and lots of them deal with it just fine. Sure, ADD can make life horrendously difficult some days, but so can the weather, the stock market, and rush hour traffic. Recognize problems for what they are. Don't blow them out of proportion.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My husband is very bright now age 70. When he is in a controlled environment, like drafting, in one room, he does fine. He has been at home for over 40 years. He is all over the place, yelling and screaming, and losing things, and blaming others in family, now they are grown, now it is me. Only, he can do just about anything, but takes forever to finish, and usually starts other things in between, he is hyper, curses, yells fumes has road rage, impatient, loud and hard to deal with. He has been on Zoloft a number of years and valium 5 mg. for anxiety, he needs something for this ADHD I think he has had it for over 40 years. He needs help and it is very hard on me. I get so mad over this behavior of hyper and never finishing things.

Comment from: Stigmatized, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am a 56 year old female who went undiagnosed with this disorder until my late 40's. While there were several males in my immediate family who were diagnosed, my symptoms went unrecognized because I did not exhibit the same type of hyperactivity as my brother and nephews. It wasn't until my daughter was in high school and was diagnosed with ADD, that I realized that I had been suffering from the same symptoms since childhood. ADD medication has been a lifesaver for me. Impulsivity and lack of organizational skills cost me my job and almost my marriage. I have found however, that this disorder does carry with it a stigma and I recently was traumatized by an E.R. doctor who accused me of drug seeking when I visited the ER due to an abscessed tooth that caused an enormous amount of pain while I was away from my home, visiting my mother. The reason was that I forgot to list Concerta as one of my medications and he was able to access my prescriptions. I have not yet been able to overcome this incident and am afraid to go to the ER for any pain related illnesses such as kidney stones, for fear of being accused of being a drug seeker. I hope that all physicians recognize this disorder in adults and treat them as if they had any other type disorder, without fueling the shame that we already feel from society's ignorance and misconception of ADHD/ADD.

Comment from: Natalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 39 years old. About a month ago, I was conclusively diagnosed with ADHD by my psychiatrist. Now I understand why I have a psychiatrist in the first place. In my childhood, I had "tantrums from hell" as my siblings and parents remember. I didn't do well in school; I was an avid attention seeker. As a teenager, I was rebellious, anxious, depressed, and developed a self-medicating habit of drugs and alcohol. I would run away. I attempted suicide. I was promiscuous. I never felt that I had a place in the world. As an adult, I really hadn't developed life skills or healthy ways to cope with stress. I still abuse drugs and alcohol. I'm in a co-dependant marriage. The choices I have made in my adult life have definitely affected me and my family negatively. The impulse control and lack of decision-making skills will haunt me the rest of my life. ADHD has caused financial ruin, suicide attempts, impulsiveness, boredom, addictive traits, and strained relationships with friends and family. Now that I have been diagnosed, I feel there is hope for me. I definitely understand myself better. I think with medical treatment, I can begin to pick up the pieces of my life. There is hope. Now I understand why I'm the way I am. I have ADHD. ADHD doesn't have me.

Must Read Articles Related to ADHD in Adults

SSRIs and Depression
SSRIs and Depression Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are antidepressants that affect serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a chemical neurotransmitter. Side ef...learn more >>
Antidepressants
Understanding Antidepressant Medications There are many types of depression such as clinical depression, major depression, seasonal affective depression, dysthymia, and bipolar disorder. There are a va...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about ADHD in Adults:

Interstitial Cystitis - Symptoms

What are the most uncomfortable symptoms of your interstitial cystitis (pain, urgency, feeling of pressure)?

Adult ADHD - Prognosis

What is your adult ADHD prognosis?

Adult ADHD - Experience

Please describe your experience with adult ADHD.

ADHD in Adults - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your adult ADHD?