Font Size

Adhesions, General and After Surgery (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care for Adhesions

See a doctor any time a person experiences abdominal pain that doesn't resolve quickly, pelvic pain, chest pain, or unexplained fever. If the person has undergone surgery or has a history of medical illness, discuss any changes in recovery or condition with a doctor.

If the person's abdominal pain is associated with high fever, continuous vomiting, swelling of the abdomen, chest pain, back pain, fainting or lightheadedness, gastrointestinal bleeding, go to the emergency department.

Adhesions Diagnosis

Doctors typically diagnose adhesions during a surgical procedure such as laparoscopy (putting a camera through a small hole into the stomach to visualize the organs). If they find adhesions, doctors usually can release them during the same surgery.

Studies such as blood tests, X-rays, and CT scans may be useful to determine the extent of an adhesion-related problem. A diagnosis of adhesions usually is made only during surgery. A physician, for example, can diagnose small bowel obstruction but cannot determine if adhesions are the cause without surgery.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/1/2016
Medical Author:

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

Adhesions - Experience

Please describe your experience with your adhesions after surgery.

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Labial Adhesions »

Labial adhesions are a common disorder in prepubertal females.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary