Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

...
Comment from: sheeta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After caesarian I got abdominal pain after 1.5 year followed by urine infection and ovarian cyst. So laparoscopy was done in March 2013. At that time appendix and adhesions between uterus and abdominal wall were removed. Now just 10 days back during my period, I vomited. From that I got abdominal pain and it continues still. Now doctor says again adhesions may have formed and I have to consult surgeon. I don't want to go under any surgery again.

Comment from: hazel, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had abdominal surgery many years ago. I am having severe abdominal pain for the past 3 weeks, I think due to adhesions.

Comment from: Sexy senior, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I recently had gastrectomy surgery back in August of 2015. I now have multiple problems, I think because of adhesions, with no appetite, getting nausea after eating, and I lost major weight at 40 pounds since July. I have no desire to eat because it is going to make me sick no matter the food that I eat.

Comment from: DOGBsm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had a full hysterectomy, gallbladder removed, and tummy tuck surgeries in the last 30 years. Now I feel tightness in my abdominal area and I stay swollen. In the lower pelvic region it feels like I have a knot in it when I bind to dry off, and I have shortness of breath just drying off, and heartburn and burning in my chest if do certain movements, I think because of adhesions.

Comment from: MaddyJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was hit by a bus at age 16 causing major internal injuries; major tear in liver, stomach torn away, collapsed lungs, and several broken ribs, etc. I was operated upon twice in 6 weeks. First surgery was 6 hours to save my life and second to perform an anterior gastrectomy. After weeks on respirator and months of recuperation I resumed my life with only several long ugly keloid scars to show for it; or so I thought! From age of 40 I suddenly started feeling severe pain in upper abdomen which eventually after a laparoscopy was found to be a huge amount of adhesions, so have now spent over 20 years just existing with many tablets every day which hardly help me now. I only discovered a few years ago that scar tissue shrinks as we get older so it gets tighter and this is possibly why I started suffering in later life.

Comment from: Lisa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had resection surgery 5 months ago, and seemed to recover pretty good until a week or so when I developed pain in my upper abdomin. It as if something inside is pulling and feels as if it is raw. I am contemplating seeing my physician following the weekend to check if there are adhesions.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have had numerous abdominal surgeries. In 2004 I had a hysterectomy and have been in pain ever since. In 2008 I had to have a colostomy and have been experiencing increasingly debilitating pain ever since. Now on twice daily slow release morphine and regular panadeine forte. I have gone from working 10 hours 6 days a week to barely functioning. I am amazed that doctors fail to warn of possibility of adhesions prior to surgery.

Comment from: JL31, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am of the opinion that my small bowel adhesion, which required surgery, was caused by contact/handling of the intestine during open heart surgery. That probability is increased by the fact that the onset of my incurable gastroparesis (damage to the stomach vagus nerve) coincided with the heart operation.

Comment from: CindyK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 58 years old. I started having lower back pain about a month ago. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle or something. The pain would occur in the front of my pelvis also. Now the pain is constant and even worse when lying down in certain positions, especially on my back. The pain in my abdomen is mainly on my right side. I had pain pills and I've been able to cope. I thought it would eventually heal with rest. Now with no pain pills I am miserable.

...