Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

...
Comment from: kellysfriends, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had double knee replacement, with 2 doctors working on each knee at the same time, in at 7 out by 10, up and walking by 11. The next day they start bending your knees in physiotherapy. I was in more pain than anyone else, screaming in pain. I asked the doctor for the machine that keeps the knee in motion and he said they don't get that much results from it. I kept asking for it because every little advance I got in morning physiotherapy I would have to start all over again by the time of my afternoon therapy. At my 6 week checkup he found I had adhesions in both knees. He scheduled me for a manipulation on a Thursday (6 weeks wasted and tremendous pain), but he only did one knee and a little on the other. I went straight to physiotherapy, but they didn't have room to see me on Friday and was closed on Saturday and Sunday, and the adhesions came right back. It has now been 5 months since surgery and 4 months since the manipulation and I'm still unable to walk without pain medication. I was very active and traveled a lot before, but had pain and knew it would only get worse because my knees were bone on bone, but it wasn't this bad and didn't hurt all the time. I don't regret having this done because I knew I had to have it and I thought the younger I am (70) the better I'd heal. I'm just very disappointed in the doctors for not seeing me sooner, realizing some people will develop adhesions, and listen to the patient; he could have put me on the machine I asked for time and time again. Every time the nurse asked him for it he said no. I have an appointment next week and I have asked for the other doctor that did the other knee.

Comment from: Weezer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

At the age of 43 I had a total hysterectomy and then at 63 I had to have a laparoscopic sling and bowel repair. The surgeon said he had to cut away a lot of adhesions. I had some pain in my 50s but nothing like now. If I eat even a small amount and sit down my stomach bloats up like I'm 6 months pregnant. It's miserable, I have lots of gas and usually a headache. I can't sit at all or bend for any reason without it hurting. It feels like I am going to explode. I can't even wear my jeans anymore even with no weight gain. I wonder if this could be caused by adhesions.

Comment from: sheeta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After caesarian I got abdominal pain after 1.5 year followed by urine infection and ovarian cyst. So laparoscopy was done in March 2013. At that time appendix and adhesions between uterus and abdominal wall were removed. Now just 10 days back during my period, I vomited. From that I got abdominal pain and it continues still. Now doctor says again adhesions may have formed and I have to consult surgeon. I don't want to go under any surgery again.

Comment from: once upon a time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 63 year old male who had Roux-en-Y surgery in November 2008. I have lost 300 lb and kept it off, but have gotten almost all the problems one can get, 3 hernia operations, 4 skin removals, gall bladder removed and now possibly another hernia and small intestine repair at the same time. I also have gotten gut twisting pain and bad nausea periodically since the surgery in 2008, which I think is due to adhesions. The only help was with morphine and Zofran but they took me off of that.

Comment from: oldschool, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I had a CABG (coronary artery bypass grafting) approximately 3 years ago and all went well. About a year post surgery I felt a pain in my chest that resembled a sharp object every time I coughed or sneezed. My wife and I are healthcare workers (for 27 years), and we discussed this pain I have frequently. My cardiac surgeon and cardiologist both were pleased with my healing process. We (wife and I) firmly believe there is an adhesion causing the pain (it only happens when I cough or sneeze. I read about a laparoscopic procedure and it sounds like what I need but I am wondering what is involved in the diagnostic process.

Comment from: Puddles, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had 3 surgeries 6 years ago. The first one removed 75 percent of stomach from hiatal hernia that cut off blood supply to stomach. I was in ICU for 3 weeks before being transferred by ambulance to Rochester (3 hours away). With the second one they removed part of esophagus that was infected (this surgery was through my back). Five months after 1st surgery I went for my third, reconstructive surgery so I could eat. They took part of my colon and attached it to my esophagus and stomach. For the past several months I have been having pain in my chest over left breast, and some back pain at times. I had my heart checked out and it was ok so I think the pain might be from adhesions from surgeries. I have appointment with gastrologist next Friday after waiting 2 months for appointment. I have been hoping I would not end up in the emergency room from pain. I had one of the best doctors in the country for stomach and esophagus surgery for my last 2 surgeries. He was wonderful. My family doctor says I am a miracle to be here.

...

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions - Experience

Please describe your experience with your adhesions after surgery.