Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

Please describe your adhesions, general and after surgery.

Comment from: roxyme, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a silicone gel implanted in one breast and an augmentation of the other many years ago. The gel implant ruptured and was removed four months ago and my right breast was again augmented. I have been suffering with a huge lump which developed four weeks after surgery on the side where the silicone leak was.

Comment from: Shelly58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago and two weeks after I ended up in hospital two times before they found I had a blockage. A year later when I had to have a hernia repair the doctor found when I had the blockage the bowel had went through the abdominal wall and stuck about the size of an egg so he repaired the abdominal wall and sewed me back up

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female Published: January 23

My adhesions were so severe after surgery I had to have surgery to release them from wrapping around my bowel and making it so I couldn't have a bowel movement. It's for me a nightmare that never ends. I'm lucky to go five or more years than have to have surgery again.

Comment from: nats, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

A dear friend had 18 inches of his colon removed many years ago because of cancer. Fifteen years later he went to the ER several times because bile came up in his throat. They just did little and sent him home. About the fourth time in a short time, they told him he was going to stay for more thorough exam, and he wound up in surgery for hours, worse than the original cancer surgery. The surgeon stated that she had to literally unwind the scar tissue that wrapped around his colon, as it was like a baseball. The ordeal was worse than the original surgery, and he was in the hospital 23 days recovering. No problems since, but hoping there won't be any more.

My problem started when I had abdominal surgery in 2003. For eight years I have been experiencing this pain. At times the pain is so severe when I'm driving that I have to park. Now that I have an idea of what is causing this pain, I now can make a decision on how to treat.

Comment from: collegeguy, (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a small intestines rupture a couple years ago and suffering from a abdomen pain. Doctor said an adhesion formed. Passing food was extremely painful, and I didn't eat for days.

Comment from: Bram, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I had two abdominal surgeries 22 years ago. They were within three days. The first one was to remove my gallbladder and to take a look. The second surgery was performed to remove part of my colon (non-cancer). The incision was not closed...it was allowed to close on it own. I am now having pain and loose stools. I have discomfort as soon as I put the first bite of food in my stomach. My stomach is swollen on the side where the incision was made. That side of my stomach is hard. I am seeing a GI doctor at the local VA hospital this month.

Comment from: CollegeMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

Like all of you I developed adhesions as a result of abdominal surgery. My surgery was an emergency surgery to fix what the surgeon at time was thought to have been appendicitis. However it was my ovary instead. It didn't take long for my adhesions to cause me pain either but when I mentioned the pain and pressure in my abdomen to the surgeon he acted as though it was nothing. Needless to say, I ended up having to have another emergency surgery 3 months later, with another surgeon, thank goodness, because my adhesions were so extensive that I was unable to eat and was starving to death. The 1st surgeon did not tell me that this was a possibility after abdominal surgery. At this point I am lucky I only have pain during the first day of my menstrual cycle, but the pain even for that day is very hindering.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was blessed to have a beautiful healthy boy 15 yrs. ago, but it had a price. I had a C-section then a few years after that I had an abdominal hysterectomy due to complications. Following that surgery I had chronic pain on my left side. The doctors would say there's nothing on your left side. Well after a couple years of pain the doctor decided to take a look (laparoscopically) said he probably wouldn't find anything. I woke up 6 or 7 hour later in recovery with 10 inches of my colon removed. He said I had a lot of dead colon, plus lots of scar tissue which I'm sure caused it. A month later I was back in hospital with a bowel obstruction and had several throughout years.