Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: K Smith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had 6 surgeries in 3 years and developed adhesions most predominantly after a severe appendicitis. My appendix didn't burst, but leaked over time causing scar tissue to form and it never stopped. I had a hysterectomy solely due to adhesion formation after that. All I can say is the surgical pain after the appendectomy never went away. I was sent to a pain management specialist and after two years of trial and error found a cocktail of meds that worked. I never increased dosage or strength of medication for six years. My doctor retired and the new pain doctor is weaning me off the meds. I am in constant pain with no relief now. This week they reduced my meds again, but added Lyrica which is doing nothing but really hasn't had enough time to accumulate to strength. I was a fully functioning human being w the meds and now I lie on the couch on a heating pad all day. I've also gained a substantial amount of weight due to inactivity and depression caused by chronic pain. I can't find a new pain management specialist as they are rare in my area. I sometimes think they act like adhesions don't exist or that they don't cause severe pain.

Comment from: Rhonda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

29 abdominal surgeries, 4 feet of bowel only remains, last lot of surgery in 2003, I know suffer from constant pain and need morphine injections daily. I would dearly love to get away from the morphine.

Comment from: Bandwentwrong, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a failed gastric band removed and since then have been in agony for the past year or so. After undergoing many investigative procedures, CT scans, etc. I finally had a laparoscopy which revealed yet more adhesions - something which I was told by my consultant at the time would not happen again...I am hopeful that I can now lead a normal, pain free, diarrhea free lifestyle...(fingers crossed).

Comment from: Phyllis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had surgery six years ago to remove 40cm. of my bowel due to Crohn's disease. I am now experiencing pain in the same location as the operation. I have had a lot of gas especially at night keeping me up.

Comment from: hopeful219, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a small bowel obstruction in February secondary to adhesions. This was my seventh abdominal surgery since my C-Section in 2004. Now four weeks after the surgery, I am experiencing pulling and painful sensations in my abdomen.

Comment from: LA Teacher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I just had emergency surgery two weeks ago for a total small bowel obstruction due to adhesions. I had an open surgery with a six inch incision. Now I am worried that this surgery will cause another adhesion. My doctor said it may have taken 20 years for the adhesion to strangle my intestine but I am still quite worried that it will happen again.