Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Claudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was just diagnosed with fibrous adhesions that connected to pelvis and colon, after I had a hysterectomy.

Comment from: JL31, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am of the opinion that my small bowel adhesion, which required surgery, was caused by contact/handling of the intestine during open heart surgery. That probability is increased by the fact that the onset of my incurable gastroparesis (damage to the stomach vagus nerve) coincided with the heart operation.

Comment from: CindyK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 58 years old. I started having lower back pain about a month ago. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle or something. The pain would occur in the front of my pelvis also. Now the pain is constant and even worse when lying down in certain positions, especially on my back. The pain in my abdomen is mainly on my right side. I had pain pills and I've been able to cope. I thought it would eventually heal with rest. Now with no pain pills I am miserable.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had total colectomy for Crohns 11 years ago, then 4 more surgeries over 10 years for hernias, abscesses, and fistulas. I have had several chronic hernias, and a fistula near stoma that only occasionally drains. I do just about anything to avoid more surgeries, since there is always more pain. I worked full time as a nurse for 35 years, and will endure just about anything to avoid further surgery.

Comment from: GIMPY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a blood clot develop in my arm. It cut off the blood supply to my hand. Surgeons went in and they were able to re-establish blood flow to my hand. I ended up with dry gangrene on all of my digits and they were partially amputated. My left hand is now narrower than my right. I have difficulty just trying to use that hand for anything. I constantly feel it being squeezed. Everyday it gets worse.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

When I was five years old, I had surgery on my abdomen for the removal of a mesentery cyst the size of a small football. It was attached to my small intestines and part of them were also removed.

Comment from: Hazel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had abdominal surgery for ovarian cancer. Six months after the operation, I had severe pain in the right lower abdomen. After various medications I am now taking Gabapentin, which keeps pain mostly at bay. If I eat anything that causes flatulence I get episodes of very severe pain that will pass after a couple of hours or so. I then feel as though I have emerged from a long illness.

Comment from: JRC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a c-section 8 years ago and then had the right ovary removed 2 years after that due to ovarian cycts. Every so often, beginning a month later, I started to feel sharp pains in my lower right quadrant. My doctor said it was "my imagination". Three years ago, it got so bad that I thought I was having apendicitis and went to the ER, but they couldn't find anything. My G.I. doctor said it was an "OB-Gyn" problem, and my "OB-Gyn" doctor said it was a G.I. problem. Both of them kept throwing pain meds at the problem and told me to go to the ER if it got worse. After 9 ER visits, I FINALLY found a doctor who said that I might be suffering from adhesions. At least there are some doctors who care to take the time to research their patient's problems rather than rely on pills as "quick fixes"!

Comment from: de de, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 30

After surgery for breaking my femur next to the pelvis, I developed adhesions under the surgical scar. I fell for no reason and broke the femur bone.

Comment from: GIissues, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a total hysterectomy in 2006. The following year, I had a tube placed due to ongoing digestive issues. In the past year, I have had severe abdominal pain on the left side going up under my ribs. My GI doctor is now wondering if I have adhesions from one or both of these surgeries.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions - Experience

Please describe your experience with your adhesions after surgery.