Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: de de, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 30

After surgery for breaking my femur next to the pelvis, I developed adhesions under the surgical scar. I fell for no reason and broke the femur bone.

Comment from: GIissues, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a total hysterectomy in 2006. The following year, I had a tube placed due to ongoing digestive issues. In the past year, I have had severe abdominal pain on the left side going up under my ribs. My GI doctor is now wondering if I have adhesions from one or both of these surgeries.

Comment from: mommygail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had 3 C-sections. My third child moved so much, he broke adhesions 10 weeks before his due date and sent me into labor. Labor did stop and I had him when scheduled. I had no more troubles from adhesions until fibroids made my uterus so large, it pulled my bladder.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had two C-sections and a tubal and a hysterectomy over 25 years ago. Two years ago I had to have a drain put in my gallbladder and had to wear the bag two months before the gallbladder was removed. Evidently it was infected, inflamed (3 times the normal size) and had over 200 stones. I have had off and on extreme pain in the lower right abdomen since. It took a while to connect the gallbladder problem with the symptoms I experience now. I thought it was ovarian torsion but on the ultrasound no ovaries showed up due to menopause. The doctors are thinking it is adhesions around the intestines as the pain is always the same spot. The pain will go on for days and then nothing for months. I had to beg my doctor for pain meds.

Comment from: roxyme, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a silicone gel implanted in one breast and an augmentation of the other many years ago. The gel implant ruptured and was removed four months ago and my right breast was again augmented. I have been suffering with a huge lump which developed four weeks after surgery on the side where the silicone leak was.

Comment from: Shelly58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a hysterectomy 11 years ago and two weeks after I ended up in hospital two times before they found I had a blockage. A year later when I had to have a hernia repair the doctor found when I had the blockage the bowel had went through the abdominal wall and stuck about the size of an egg so he repaired the abdominal wall and sewed me back up

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female Published: January 23

My adhesions were so severe after surgery I had to have surgery to release them from wrapping around my bowel and making it so I couldn't have a bowel movement. It's for me a nightmare that never ends. I'm lucky to go five or more years than have to have surgery again.

Comment from: nats, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

A dear friend had 18 inches of his colon removed many years ago because of cancer. Fifteen years later he went to the ER several times because bile came up in his throat. They just did little and sent him home. About the fourth time in a short time, they told him he was going to stay for more thorough exam, and he wound up in surgery for hours, worse than the original cancer surgery. The surgeon stated that she had to literally unwind the scar tissue that wrapped around his colon, as it was like a baseball. The ordeal was worse than the original surgery, and he was in the hospital 23 days recovering. No problems since, but hoping there won't be any more.

My problem started when I had abdominal surgery in 2003. For eight years I have been experiencing this pain. At times the pain is so severe when I'm driving that I have to park. Now that I have an idea of what is causing this pain, I now can make a decision on how to treat.

Comment from: collegeguy, (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a small intestines rupture a couple years ago and suffering from a abdomen pain. Doctor said an adhesion formed. Passing food was extremely painful, and I didn't eat for days.