Viewer Comments: Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery):

Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Bram, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I had two abdominal surgeries 22 years ago. They were within three days. The first one was to remove my gallbladder and to take a look. The second surgery was performed to remove part of my colon (non-cancer). The incision was not was allowed to close on it own. I am now having pain and loose stools. I have discomfort as soon as I put the first bite of food in my stomach. My stomach is swollen on the side where the incision was made. That side of my stomach is hard. I am seeing a GI doctor at the local VA hospital this month.

Comment from: CollegeMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

Like all of you I developed adhesions as a result of abdominal surgery. My surgery was an emergency surgery to fix what the surgeon at time was thought to have been appendicitis. However it was my ovary instead. It didn't take long for my adhesions to cause me pain either but when I mentioned the pain and pressure in my abdomen to the surgeon he acted as though it was nothing. Needless to say, I ended up having to have another emergency surgery 3 months later, with another surgeon, thank goodness, because my adhesions were so extensive that I was unable to eat and was starving to death. The 1st surgeon did not tell me that this was a possibility after abdominal surgery. At this point I am lucky I only have pain during the first day of my menstrual cycle, but the pain even for that day is very hindering.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was blessed to have a beautiful healthy boy 15 yrs. ago, but it had a price. I had a C-section then a few years after that I had an abdominal hysterectomy due to complications. Following that surgery I had chronic pain on my left side. The doctors would say there's nothing on your left side. Well after a couple years of pain the doctor decided to take a look (laparoscopically) said he probably wouldn't find anything. I woke up 6 or 7 hour later in recovery with 10 inches of my colon removed. He said I had a lot of dead colon, plus lots of scar tissue which I'm sure caused it. A month later I was back in hospital with a bowel obstruction and had several throughout years.

Comment from: K Smith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had 6 surgeries in 3 years and developed adhesions most predominantly after a severe appendicitis. My appendix didn't burst, but leaked over time causing scar tissue to form and it never stopped. I had a hysterectomy solely due to adhesion formation after that. All I can say is the surgical pain after the appendectomy never went away. I was sent to a pain management specialist and after two years of trial and error found a cocktail of meds that worked. I never increased dosage or strength of medication for six years. My doctor retired and the new pain doctor is weaning me off the meds. I am in constant pain with no relief now. This week they reduced my meds again, but added Lyrica which is doing nothing but really hasn't had enough time to accumulate to strength. I was a fully functioning human being w the meds and now I lie on the couch on a heating pad all day. I've also gained a substantial amount of weight due to inactivity and depression caused by chronic pain. I can't find a new pain management specialist as they are rare in my area. I sometimes think they act like adhesions don't exist or that they don't cause severe pain.

Comment from: Rhonda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

29 abdominal surgeries, 4 feet of bowel only remains, last lot of surgery in 2003, I know suffer from constant pain and need morphine injections daily. I would dearly love to get away from the morphine.

Comment from: Bandwentwrong, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a failed gastric band removed and since then have been in agony for the past year or so. After undergoing many investigative procedures, CT scans, etc. I finally had a laparoscopy which revealed yet more adhesions - something which I was told by my consultant at the time would not happen again...I am hopeful that I can now lead a normal, pain free, diarrhea free lifestyle...(fingers crossed).

Comment from: Phyllis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had surgery six years ago to remove 40cm. of my bowel due to Crohn's disease. I am now experiencing pain in the same location as the operation. I have had a lot of gas especially at night keeping me up.

Comment from: hopeful219, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a small bowel obstruction in February secondary to adhesions. This was my seventh abdominal surgery since my C-Section in 2004. Now four weeks after the surgery, I am experiencing pulling and painful sensations in my abdomen.