Font Size

Alcohol Abuse and Dependence (cont.)

Other Places To Get Help


National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. (NCADD)
22 Cortlandt Street
Suite 801
New York, NY 10007-3128
Phone: 1-800-NCA-CALL (1-800-622-2255)
(212) 269-7797
Fax: (212) 269-7510
Web Address:

NCADD provides facts and scientific information about alcohol and drugs and related health issues, with specific resources for parents and youth. The organization also has a national intervention network and provides information about treatment programs and prevention.

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
5635 Fishers Lane, MSC 9304
Bethesda, MD 20892-9304
Phone: (301) 443-3860
1-800-729-6686 (National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information)
Web Address:

NIAAA provides pamphlets, brochures, and referral information about alcohol use problems. Information can be obtained by writing or calling or by printing it from the Web site.

Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters
1600 Corporate Landing Parkway
Virginia Beach, VA 23454-5617
Phone: 1-888-4AL-ANON (1-888-425-2666) for meeting information
(757) 563-1600
Fax: (757) 563-1655
Web Address:

Al-Anon is a support group and self-help program for family members and friends of people with alcohol and drug use problems. The program is based on the same principles as AA. Phone numbers for local offices are listed in area telephone books.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) World Services
P.O. Box 459
New York, NY 10163
Phone: (212) 870-3400
Web Address:

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a support group and self-help program for recovery from alcohol use problems as well as other substance abuse problems. Meetings are available in most communities at various times. Meetings can be "open" (for the person and his or her family) or "closed" (for the person only). Special groups for women, teens, and gay/lesbian people may be available in some areas. AA provides written information on the program of recovery. Phone numbers for local offices are listed in local area phone books.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Alcohol and Public Health
Phone: 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636)
TDD: 1-888-232-6348
Web Address:

This Web site provides information about excessive alcohol use, including underage and binge drinking. The Web site offers resources and educational materials on alcohol abuse.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD 20847-2345
Phone: (240) 276-2420 substance abuse prevention
(240) 276-1660 substance abuse treatment
1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4357) toll-free referral help line
Web Address:

SAMHSA provides information on substance abuse prevention and treatment. Its website is the gateway to the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention ( and the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (

eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

To learn more visit

© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.

Medical Dictionary