Viewer Comments: Allergic Reaction - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Allergic Reaction:

Allergic Reaction - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your allergic reaction?

Published: April 18

I had a very swollen face and neck, dizziness, fainting feeling. I was given steroids at the hospital.

Comment from: Brooke, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

When I am having an allergic reaction to something, I get hives around my eyes. This causes my eyes to be very itchy and irritated.

Comment from: dopey, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

When I went to bed I was fine. I woke up my tongue was swollen could not breathe could not close my mouth. i was asleep about six hours.

Comment from: Pat50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got a vaccination for yellow fever. They wanted me to wait one hour but I was in a hurry so begged to leave after 45 minutes. Luckily a friend was driving; she dropped me off at the corner; I had a half block to walk to get home. Suddenly I felt odd; like I was walking on soft marshmallows, as if I had to lift my legs very high and walk very slowly; I had the odd sensation of being drunk, without having had any alcohol at all to drink. I looked down at my watch. My entire arm, shoulder to fingertips was incredibly swollen, held in at the wrist only by my metal watchband. I struggled to keep alert to get home; I made it, but do not remember much of anything else for some time.

Comment from: Charmlew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was trimming our sego palms today. Even with long sleeves and gloves on, the palm fronds kept poking my arms. I have a really bad rash on my arms and it is very warm to the touch. I am taking Benadryl and using aloe vera gel to reduce the temperature and soothe the itching.

Comment from: harjo15, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I recently had a severe reaction while eating shrimp. I am 61 years old and have eaten shrimp and other shell fish for most of my life and never had a problem. This time my throat closed up within minutes of eating one shrimp. Since then I cannot even eat food that has touched shrimp or even smell it and I start to feel hot and tingling and have trouble breathing. I didn't know these allergies could happen so suddenly.

Published: December 13

I have a bright red circle on my thigh that is perfectly round. The center of the circle is a smaller circle that is darker in color. The spot is itchy and hot to the touch. The doctor is treating it as an allergic reaction.

Comment from: Jenny J, 65-74 Female Published: November 10

Lower facial and lip swelling for over 24 hours. My face was extremely itchy. There are small white patches inside my mouth. This swelling occurs every few weeks but in the last month it has occurred 3 times with increasingly severe symptoms.

Comment from: ejn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

My lips get small blister-like bumps. They do not come to a head or weep. The little blisters are just there, causing my lips to swell and burn. Anti-biotic salve and anti-histamines do not have any affect. I would really like to know the cause.

Comment from: Furby, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My husband had 5 allergic reactions for the last month. He had taken some blood tests (food allergens) but it gave back negative. The allergen count is 344. We don't know what he can eat or not. We are so afraid that it can get worse.

Comment from: Recovering, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I got up feeling fine went to wash up and as I brushed my teeth I noticed my lips look swollen, my face and neck puffy and my eyes were red.(I actually looked weird) I figured something was happening so I sat on the bed and that's when I felt nauseated and vomited. I called my husband to call 911. My blood pressure was really low, I also had diarrhea. At the hospital I had severe stomach pains. I spent three days in ICU. My blood pressure went up to normal after the second day.

Must Read Articles Related to Allergic Reaction

Allergy Shots
Allergy Shots Some allergens are simply impossible to avoid. You cannot live a normal life and completely avoid pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and certain other common trig...learn more >>
Allergy: Insect Sting
Allergy: Insect Sting Several insects belonging to the class Hymenoptera are capable of injecting venom into humans and animals. These insects include honeybees, bumble bees, hornets...learn more >>
Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
Allergy: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac More than half the people in the United States are sensitive to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. If you are sensitive, you can develop an itchy, bliste...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Allergic Reaction:

Allergic Reaction - Treatment

What was the treatment for your allergic reaction?

Allergic Reaction - Experience

Please describe your experience with allergic reaction.

Allergic Reaction - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your allergic reaction?