A doctor may perform the following tests to determine the cause of the amenorrhea:
- Blood tests may be performed to determine the levels of hormones secreted by the pituitary gland (FSH, LH, TSH, and prolactin) and the ovaries (estrogen).
- Ultrasonography of the pelvis may be performed to assess the abnormalities of the genital tract or to look for polycystic ovaries.
- CT scan or
MRI of the head may be performed to exclude pituitary and hypothalamic causes of amenorrhea.
If the above tests are inconclusive, additional tests may be performed
- Thyroid function tests
- Determination of prolactin levels
- Hysterosalpingogram (X-ray test) or saline infusion sonography (SIS), both of which examine the uterus
- Hysteroscopy (visual inspection of the uterine cavity)
Lawrence M Nelson, MD, MBA
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Amenorrhea: