- In some women, nutritional deficiencies induced by dieting can cause amenorrhea. Such women should eat a properly balanced diet.
- In some women, excessive body weight could be the cause of amenorrhea. These women should restrict the amount of fat in their diet, and they should exercise moderately to maintain an ideal body weight.
- More than 8 hours of vigorous exercise a week may cause amenorrhea. A moderate exercise program may restore normal menstruation.
- In women with anorexia nervosa or excessive weight loss, normal
menstrual cycles can often be restored by undergoing treatment to restore
and maintain a healthy body weight.
- If amenorrhea is caused by
emotional stress, finding ways to deal with stress and conflicts may help.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle by avoiding alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking is also helpful.
Lawrence M Nelson, MD, MBA
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Amenorrhea: