Anal Abscess (cont.)
Anal Abscess Medical Treatment
Depending upon the severity of the abscess and any other medical problems, treatment may be accomplished on an outpatient or inpatient basis. The treatment plan should be explained to the patient in detail.
- Minor surgery may be performed in the healthcare professional's office or in the emergency department using local anesthesia (an injection in the infected area), and possibly IV sedation. Most patients are referred to a surgeon for treatment of perirectal abscesses because the abscess may involve additional structures or require more debridement that may not be apparent until it is surgically explored. Patients should be able to go home when they awake and will be given prescription pain medication for the first few days with some uncomplicated abscesses.
- Alternatively, the surgery may be done in the operating room by a surgeon using spinal anesthesia (the patient is awake and numb from the waist down) or general anesthesia (patient is "asleep" under sedation). The hospital stay may be overnight or several days.
- Admission to the hospital may be required with an IV line for fluids, antibiotics, and pain medicine.
- Patients may need an update of their tetanus booster, if this has not been done in the past 5-10 years.
- Blood and other tests may need to be repeated to evaluate the patient's progress after treatment.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/23/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Anal Abscess
Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Crohn's disease (Crohn disease) is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is a chronic long-term inflammation of the digestive tract. The cause of Crohn's dis...learn more >>
Fever in Adults
A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>