Anal Itching Quick Overview
- Anal itching (and perianal itching)
occurs around and near the anus, which is the opening for the bowels.
- Anal itching occurs more often in men,
and, most of the time, no cause can be identified.
- Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are
- Treatment for anal itching includes
home remedies and some medications.
- Depending on the cause anal itching can
be prevented by changing toilet tissue, wearing loose underwear and avoiding
known food irritants.
Anal Itching Causes
When a cause can be found, the itching is usually due to irritation of the skin around the anus.
Some of the most common irritants include the following:
- Perfumes, chemicals, or dye on toilet paper can cause an allergic reaction.
- Moisture from sweat or diarrhea may cause itching. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.
- Some foods irritate the anus when they are expelled during a bowel movement. The most common culprits are
- Infections such as pinworms,
yeast, and genital warts can cause itching.
- Hemorrhoids, which cause painful swelling of blood vessels in the anal area, can cause itching.
- Cancer, in rare instances, may be a cause of anal itching.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/3/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Anal Itching
Anal fissures are small tears in the skin overlying the anus. Anal fissures are generally caused by constipation, or straining with a bowel movement. Symptoms o...learn more >>
Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Candidiasis (Yeast Infection)
Candidiasis is type of yeast infection, and is the most common type of yeast infection. Areas where candidiasis yeast infection can occur are vaginal, thrush (m...learn more >>