Anal Itching (cont.)
Anal Itching Causes
When a cause can be found, the itching is usually due to irritation of the skin around the anus.
Some of the most common irritants include the following:
- Perfumes, chemicals, or dye on toilet paper can cause an
- Moisture from sweat or diarrhea may cause itching. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.
- Some foods irritate the anus when they are expelled
during a bowel movement. The most common culprits are
caffeine, chocolate, beer, nuts, dairy products, and spicy food.
- Infections such as pinworms,
genital warts can cause itching.
- Hemorrhoids, which cause painful swelling of blood vessels in the anal area, can cause itching.
- Cancer, in rare instances, may be a cause
of anal itching.
Must Read Articles Related to Anal Itching
Hemorrhoids are large veins in the rectum that cause pain. Causes of hemorrhoids include constipation, straining during a bowel movement, liver disease, and mor...learn more >>
Proctitis is defined as inflammation of your anus (the opening) and lining of your rectum (lower part of the intestine leading to the anus). Symptoms can vary g...learn more >>
The rectum is the last portion of the large bowel that ends just before the anus. Bleeding from this area can be a mild or life-threatening matter. Causes of re...learn more >>