Anal Itching (cont.)
Home Remedies for Anal Itching
Try not to irritate the skin even more by scrubbing the area with soap. This will only cause more irritation and itching. Gentle cleaning with water helps the area heal.
Other home therapies include the following:
- Change to a plain, soft, unscented toilet paper.
- If toilet paper feels too abrasive, try cleaning with unscented baby wipes or cotton moistened with mineral oil. Dry with cotton afterward to remove any moisture.
Many times, baby wipes can exacerbate anal itching if used long-term.
- Wear loose-fitting cotton underwear that allows sweat to evaporate. Do not wear panty hose.
- Over-the-counter medicines such as creams containing hydrocortisone or zinc oxide can provide some relief; however, apply sparingly and notify your health care practitioner prior to using them.
- Avoid food irritants and eat a high-fiber diet.
Medications to Treat Anal Itching
Most causes of anal itching can be readily treated.
- Hydrocortisone cream (1%) applied locally for no more than two weeks (to avoid skin damage).
- Pinworms and bacterial infections are treated with prescription
- Yeast infections and many rashes improve with creams.
- Skin lesions such as warts or hemorrhoids are removed with minor surgical procedures.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/3/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Anal Itching
Anal fissures are small tears in the skin overlying the anus. Anal fissures are generally caused by constipation, or straining with a bowel movement. Symptoms o...learn more >>
Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Candidiasis (Yeast Infection)
Candidiasis is type of yeast infection, and is the most common type of yeast infection. Areas where candidiasis yeast infection can occur are vaginal, thrush (m...learn more >>