Anal Itching (cont.)
Anal Itching Treatment
Self-Care at Home
Try not to irritate the skin even more by scrubbing the area with soap. This will only cause more irritation and itching. Gentle cleaning with water helps the area heal.
Other home therapies include the following:
- Change to a plain, soft, unscented toilet paper.
- If toilet paper feels too abrasive, try cleaning with unscented baby wipes or cotton moistened with mineral oil. Dry with cotton afterward to remove any moisture.
- Wear loose-fitting cotton underwear that allows sweat to evaporate. Do not wear panty hose.
- Over-the-counter medicines such as creams containing hydrocortisone or
zinc oxide can provide some relief; however, apply sparingly and notify your
health care practitioner prior to using them.
- Avoid food irritants and eat a high-fiber diet.
Must Read Articles Related to Anal Itching
Hemorrhoids are large veins in the rectum that cause pain. Causes of hemorrhoids include constipation, straining during a bowel movement, liver disease, and mor...learn more >>
Proctitis is defined as inflammation of your anus (the opening) and lining of your rectum (lower part of the intestine leading to the anus). Symptoms can vary g...learn more >>
The rectum is the last portion of the large bowel that ends just before the anus. Bleeding from this area can be a mild or life-threatening matter. Causes of re...learn more >>