Anatomy of the Endocrine System (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
The thyroid gland is located in the lower front part of the neck. It produces thyroid hormones that regulate the body's metabolism. It also plays a role in bone growth and development of the brain and nervous system in children. The pituitary gland controls the release of thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones also help maintain normal blood pressure, heart rate, digestion, muscle tone, and reproductive functions.
Stephen Kemp, MD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Anatomy of the Endocrine System
Women's Health Resources
- What's Triggering Your Migraines?
- Sex and Conception: Does Position Matter?
- Tips to Get Pregnant Faster
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?