Anatomy of the Endocrine System (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
The thyroid gland is located in the lower front part of the neck. It produces thyroid hormones that regulate the body's metabolism. It also plays a role in bone growth and development of the brain and nervous system in children. The pituitary gland controls the release of thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones also help maintain normal blood pressure, heart rate, digestion, muscle tone, and reproductive functions.
Stephen Kemp, MD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Anatomy of the Endocrine System
Women's Health Resources
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Your Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Can Baby Catch Eczema?
- How to Get Beautiful, Dandruff-Free Hair