Anatomy of the Endocrine System (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
The pancreas is an elongated organ located toward the back of the abdomen behind the stomach. The pancreas has digestive and hormonal functions. One part of the pancreas, the exocrine pancreas, secretes digestive enzymes. The other part of the pancreas, the endocrine pancreas, secretes hormones called insulin and glucagon. These hormones regulate the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood.
Pictures of the Endocrine System
Picture of the Thyroid Gland
Picture of the Pituitary Gland
Picture of the Parathyroid Glands
Picture of the Pancreas
Stephen Kemp, MD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Anatomy of the Endocrine System
Women's Health Resources
- What's Triggering Your Migraines?
- Sex and Conception: Does Position Matter?
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?