Viewer Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

As well as being tired and lethargic, I found walking difficult it's like yr muscles seize up. I also know when I get anemic because I crave ice. Lots of ice and crunch my way through loads of the stuff.

Comment from: 1tiredrt, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I have been anemic off and on for years. Have been diagnosed with mild Crohn's disease and have had chronic diarrhea for a long time. My symptoms have been Exhaustion, feeling cold, no interest in anything, can barely work an 8 hour day and I sleep more than anyone should. I can't say I am depressed. I am just so tired all the time. Finally my doctor checked my iron, now I am scheduled for B12 monthly shots. We'll see if I feel any better soon.

Comment from: nicole l, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I was diagnosed with anemia I'm always tired even when I get sufficient amounts of sleep. My eyes are dark like dark circles and they never seem to go away.

Comment from: luvinia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I always had anemia but, 5 months ago I suffered severe blood loss due to heavy bleeding. I had to get 4 bags of blood. Symptoms during that time were dizzy spells, fatigue, sweats,chills, headaches, chest pain, tingling hands and feet, cold feet, pale hands and feet, swollen ankles, temporary memory and weight loss. I also ate ice all day long and (sad to say for some reason) I craved baby powder. This condition can be life-threatening and can cause very uncomfortable symptoms if it's left untreated.

Comment from: mohamina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

Having anemia really slowed me down. I found out I was anemic after I donated blood. The doctor told me of my condition and sent me along with a prescription of multivitamins. I am now in college, and it hurts to walk as much as I do. I often feel faint or dizzy, and other than that, I have noticed that I am starting to bruise very easily. Also, I crave the strangest things such as ice and I have been having excruciatingly painful headaches. I am taking iron pills, which are working, however slowly.

Comment from: vas, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was always tired, sleepy, dizzy, thirsty, frequent urge to empty the bladder, loss of appetite or feeling full after a very small meal, but rapidly gaining weight. My count was 6.7 and three weeks ago I ended up in the emergency room and had a blood transfusion of three units, and they are trying to find the reason. Also, I have very heavy periods and my last period lasted for 45 days.

Comment from: jgbartontx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am anemic and some of the symptoms I have had are, craving ice, being very tired, having no strength at all, heart skipping beats and getting out of breath. My red blood cell numbers were 8.5. I had to have a blood transfusion and now they are trying to find the cause of the anemia.

Comment from: needtocope, 25-34 Male Published: October 28

Three months ago my life changed. My ability to function on a daily basis stopped. I was constantly tired and in need of sleep. I could not function enough to run my small business. I had to get the help of others so my business would not suffer. The doctor told me my blood count was slightly low and all I needed was some iron pills. I've been taking them for the last two months. I started to feel better to the point now where I only feel fatigued twice a weak or so rather than every day. Although it is helping physically, it is not helping the mental shut down that I feel on those two days that I feel physically tired.

Comment from: TEE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Symptoms I've experienced with anemia are dizziness, headaches, weakness weight loss and cough.

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was helping my husband on the job and I came home and kinda crashed. I wanted to sleep non-stop. I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy and I had a migraine. My hair was falling out and I had very dry skin. I thought I was seriously coming down with something. I ended up in the emergency room, the next thing you know I was getting a blood transfusion. My Hgb was 7 and my iron level was zero, I was also having heart palpitations. I ended up with 4 units of blood and my level was only 11 when I was released from the hospital. That was 9 months ago and my levels have dropped again to 6. It's just an ongoing battle thats always present.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?