Viewer Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I saw my Dr.2 months ago- my primary complaint was dizziness. She sent me to an ENT and to see my ophthalmologist - all results were fine. I had also complained of headaches, palpitations and incredible fatigue. (If I do not set an alarm I will sleep for 12 hours and then drag myself around) She never checked my blood. Two months later, still suffering all of the above symptoms plus an incredible craving for ice, dry mouth and a tongue that felt like sandpaper( I had also lost 8 pounds) I went for a routine CBC related to upcoming outpatient surgery (unrelated)they discovered a Hgb of 9.2. No wonder I didn't feel well.

Comment from: cammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am 44 years old. I've been severely anemic since having gastric bypass surgery. I'm constantly tired and eat ice all the time!! I can never seem to get enough sleep. My fiance and I would like to try and have a baby.

Comment from: Mojo77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My hair is falling out excessively and I'm always tired!!!

Comment from: DKLane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I was diagnosed with anemia when I was in my 20's. I am now 59 and still have the problem, even though I'm taking a prescription iron medication. My family practitioner just recently sent me to an internist who has referred me to a hematologist. I sleep at least 12 hours a day and take cat naps throughout, but I have no ice cravings, or excessive fatigue. I eat a lot of chocolate and sweets. No alcohol though.

Comment from: mompop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I feel very tired all the time, like I just don't get enough sleep. I push myself to do the everyday chores I used to do. I noticed when I go walking my chest hurts and body aches. I've been getting shortness of breath I breathe in and I start coughing. I wake up at night my hands and feet like a tingling, itching sensation. I'm constantly eating ice. I eat it all day.

Comment from: anemic in birmingham, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am severely anemic, I have very heavy cycles; I get extremely tired, cold and crave ice most of the time. I recently started seeing a hematologist about a month ago and my iron was less than one so he suggested iron infusions, I have to have this treatment every two weeks. I also experience headaches, shortness of breath, feeling irritable, and unable to sleep. I had my third iron infusion a week ago and I feel like my old self most of the time, meaning I feel much better. This still worries me. I hope one day I can go without the iron infusions.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

As well as being tired and lethargic, I found walking difficult it's like yr muscles seize up. I also know when I get anemic because I crave ice. Lots of ice and crunch my way through loads of the stuff.

Comment from: 1tiredrt, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I have been anemic off and on for years. Have been diagnosed with mild Crohn's disease and have had chronic diarrhea for a long time. My symptoms have been Exhaustion, feeling cold, no interest in anything, can barely work an 8 hour day and I sleep more than anyone should. I can't say I am depressed. I am just so tired all the time. Finally my doctor checked my iron, now I am scheduled for B12 monthly shots. We'll see if I feel any better soon.

Comment from: nicole l, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I was diagnosed with anemia I'm always tired even when I get sufficient amounts of sleep. My eyes are dark like dark circles and they never seem to go away.

Comment from: luvinia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I always had anemia but, 5 months ago I suffered severe blood loss due to heavy bleeding. I had to get 4 bags of blood. Symptoms during that time were dizzy spells, fatigue, sweats,chills, headaches, chest pain, tingling hands and feet, cold feet, pale hands and feet, swollen ankles, temporary memory and weight loss. I also ate ice all day long and (sad to say for some reason) I craved baby powder. This condition can be life-threatening and can cause very uncomfortable symptoms if it's left untreated.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.