Viewer Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: mohamina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

Having anemia really slowed me down. I found out I was anemic after I donated blood. The doctor told me of my condition and sent me along with a prescription of multivitamins. I am now in college, and it hurts to walk as much as I do. I often feel faint or dizzy, and other than that, I have noticed that I am starting to bruise very easily. Also, I crave the strangest things such as ice and I have been having excruciatingly painful headaches. I am taking iron pills, which are working, however slowly.

Comment from: vas, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was always tired, sleepy, dizzy, thirsty, frequent urge to empty the bladder, loss of appetite or feeling full after a very small meal, but rapidly gaining weight. My count was 6.7 and three weeks ago I ended up in the emergency room and had a blood transfusion of three units, and they are trying to find the reason. Also, I have very heavy periods and my last period lasted for 45 days.

Comment from: jgbartontx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am anemic and some of the symptoms I have had are, craving ice, being very tired, having no strength at all, heart skipping beats and getting out of breath. My red blood cell numbers were 8.5. I had to have a blood transfusion and now they are trying to find the cause of the anemia.

Comment from: needtocope, 25-34 Male Published: October 28

Three months ago my life changed. My ability to function on a daily basis stopped. I was constantly tired and in need of sleep. I could not function enough to run my small business. I had to get the help of others so my business would not suffer. The doctor told me my blood count was slightly low and all I needed was some iron pills. I've been taking them for the last two months. I started to feel better to the point now where I only feel fatigued twice a weak or so rather than every day. Although it is helping physically, it is not helping the mental shut down that I feel on those two days that I feel physically tired.

Comment from: TEE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Symptoms I've experienced with anemia are dizziness, headaches, weakness weight loss and cough.

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was helping my husband on the job and I came home and kinda crashed. I wanted to sleep non-stop. I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy and I had a migraine. My hair was falling out and I had very dry skin. I thought I was seriously coming down with something. I ended up in the emergency room, the next thing you know I was getting a blood transfusion. My Hgb was 7 and my iron level was zero, I was also having heart palpitations. I ended up with 4 units of blood and my level was only 11 when I was released from the hospital. That was 9 months ago and my levels have dropped again to 6. It's just an ongoing battle thats always present.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I started to get very dizzy, lightheaded, can't get enough sleep even if I sleep 8 hours a day, I don't want to get up in the mornings. I feel very depressed. My level dropped from 10.2 to 9.8 and I need to get on iron supplements. I have always been anemic, but amazingly enough when it drops a couple of points, I can really feel it. I have been anemic all my life, and I just need to be on iron therapy. Tandem and Tandem F really work with me as it does not upset my stomach as they are capsules.

Comment from: sandra, 75 or over Female Published: February 12

My mother has got anemia and is very weak and tired all the time, one off her feet has gone numb and is cold all the time. The doctor said this was a symptom.

Comment from: marie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

When I was in high school I started to dislike all of the things I had once loved, dance, basketball, getting good grades, etc. My grades dropped and I thought I was depressed. Then my hair was thinning and people started telling me they could see through my hair to my scalp. I got sick and became almost delusional so my mom took me to the hospital. My iron count was a 4 - due to bleeding. My hair had mostly fallen out by then, I'd lost interest in everything, and my heart had a murmur. I received 2 iron transfusions and now have to take iron every day.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I found out I had anemia a few years ago. I was only 16 when I found out. I was tired all the time, I could sleep 12 hours and still sleep really good that night. I was always cold no matter how hot it was outside. When I stood up I would get dizzy and kind of black out. I was always sick with something also. I went to the doctor for it and my blood count was 3. Later on my doctor found out my body has problems storing or absorbing iron so I'll have to take an iron pill everyday.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.