Viewer Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I started to get very dizzy, lightheaded, can't get enough sleep even if I sleep 8 hours a day, I don't want to get up in the mornings. I feel very depressed. My level dropped from 10.2 to 9.8 and I need to get on iron supplements. I have always been anemic, but amazingly enough when it drops a couple of points, I can really feel it. I have been anemic all my life, and I just need to be on iron therapy. Tandem and Tandem F really work with me as it does not upset my stomach as they are capsules.

Comment from: sandra, 75 or over Female Published: February 12

My mother has got anemia and is very weak and tired all the time, one off her feet has gone numb and is cold all the time. The doctor said this was a symptom.

Comment from: marie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

When I was in high school I started to dislike all of the things I had once loved, dance, basketball, getting good grades, etc. My grades dropped and I thought I was depressed. Then my hair was thinning and people started telling me they could see through my hair to my scalp. I got sick and became almost delusional so my mom took me to the hospital. My iron count was a 4 - due to bleeding. My hair had mostly fallen out by then, I'd lost interest in everything, and my heart had a murmur. I received 2 iron transfusions and now have to take iron every day.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I found out I had anemia a few years ago. I was only 16 when I found out. I was tired all the time, I could sleep 12 hours and still sleep really good that night. I was always cold no matter how hot it was outside. When I stood up I would get dizzy and kind of black out. I was always sick with something also. I went to the doctor for it and my blood count was 3. Later on my doctor found out my body has problems storing or absorbing iron so I'll have to take an iron pill everyday.

Comment from: fym, 45-54 Female Published: January 20

I just found out at a routine physical that I was dangerously anemic. My blood count was 25 and iron "saturation level" 13-14%. I am 53 and have experienced heavy menstrual cycles for the last 9-12 months. No real symptoms but looking back I realize that I have been fixated on chewing ice. I have been putting it into all beverages and couldn't seem to get enough (last 3 months). Also, some chills and maybe sleeping a little more. I am starting on iron supplements as well as Vitamins C, B-complex and D. This hasn't affected my tennis or walking so I guess my body has compensated. I will update later.

Comment from: Selma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My blood count currently is 5. I've been anaemic for years. I suffer from terrible headaches, light headedness, heart beat rising, out of breath even when I walk floor up with the stairs. My skin is pale. My stools are black and I always have constipation due to iron tablets. My body doesn't want to absorb any iron at all. I have heavy menstrual bleedings. I don't know if this is due to iron problems but my body takes up to months to heal these days. Example if I have a wound, it takes months to heal.

Comment from: Anemic., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

When I had anemia I suffered loss of sleep, fainting, craving of ice cubes (which I found out later held iron in). That was some of it. I got the iron supplement "slow fe" which showed fabulous results.

Comment from: anemicperson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a peculiar experience; I began to feel dizzy. Then I got very chilly and could not stop shivering, no matter how many layers I wore, even wool. Then I began to get hot and feverish. The doctor said it was a case of anemia brought on by a combination of hemorrhoids and bleeding during my menstrual cycle. This has since happened twice and I did not go to the doctor the next two times because it coincided with the hemorrhoid problem. I now self-treat myself according to what the doctor said --- plenty of iron-rich foods, as well as leafy veggies to avoid another painful hemorrhoid bout. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Comment from: sandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I found out I am anemic fours ago. I was craving ice, breathless, fatigued, constipated, and hemorrhoidal. It all was very serious. My problem now is I am not even taking care of it because I am scared of constipation. After reading all these comments, I really need help.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?