Viewer Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Rhonda , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I found out I was anemic after seeking medical care for chronic heavy bleeding during periods. My symptoms have included dizziness, heart palpitations, fatigue, and shortness of breath. Currently, my blood count is 9. I'm concerned that it may drop lower before my surgery, and I may need a transfusion. I've also had ice cravings and frequent headaches.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I went to my doctor for a physical and found out I was anemic. It explains the reason I came home from a business trip absolutely exhausted. I could not move the next day. Also I have had two terrible dizzy spells in the past three months that have knocked me off my feet. I thought all these symptoms were caused by stress or even depression. I am looking forward to getting it "fixed" so I feel better and get my energy back.

It has been a couple of months that I have been feeling that I was running a low grade fever, was very weak and tired, I was always suffering from a headache and I felt very irritable. I went to my doctor and he told me it was stress. It wasn't until I asked him to refer me to a dermatologist, because I had been noticing a lot of hair loss and tiny red dots on my skin, that I was told that my count was 7. It has been two and a half months now and I have been taking Palafer (and iron supplement) with orange juice (Vitamin C helps absorption of iron) and I still don't feel my usual self. I still have the weakness and dizziness and my hair won't stop shedding which is now a big concern for me.

I saw my Dr.2 months ago- my primary complaint was dizziness. She sent me to an ENT and to see my ophthalmologist - all results were fine. I had also complained of headaches, palpitations and incredible fatigue. (If I do not set an alarm I will sleep for 12 hours and then drag myself around) She never checked my blood. Two months later, still suffering all of the above symptoms plus an incredible craving for ice, dry mouth and a tongue that felt like sandpaper( I had also lost 8 pounds) I went for a routine CBC related to upcoming outpatient surgery (unrelated)they discovered a Hgb of 9.2. No wonder I didn't feel well.

Comment from: Mojo77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My hair is falling out excessively and I'm always tired!!!

Comment from: DKLane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I was diagnosed with anemia when I was in my 20's. I am now 59 and still have the problem, even though I'm taking a prescription iron medication. My family practitioner just recently sent me to an internist who has referred me to a hematologist. I sleep at least 12 hours a day and take cat naps throughout, but I have no ice cravings, or excessive fatigue. I eat a lot of chocolate and sweets. No alcohol though.

Comment from: mompop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I feel very tired all the time, like I just don't get enough sleep. I push myself to do the everyday chores I used to do. I noticed when I go walking my chest hurts and body aches. I've been getting shortness of breath I breathe in and I start coughing. I wake up at night my hands and feet like a tingling, itching sensation. I'm constantly eating ice. I eat it all day.

Comment from: anemic in birmingham, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am severely anemic, I have very heavy cycles; I get extremely tired, cold and crave ice most of the time. I recently started seeing a hematologist about a month ago and my iron was less than one so he suggested iron infusions, I have to have this treatment every two weeks. I also experience headaches, shortness of breath, feeling irritable, and unable to sleep. I had my third iron infusion a week ago and I feel like my old self most of the time, meaning I feel much better. This still worries me. I hope one day I can go without the iron infusions.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

As well as being tired and lethargic, I found walking difficult it's like yr muscles seize up. I also know when I get anemic because I crave ice. Lots of ice and crunch my way through loads of the stuff.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?