Viewer Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Yayaboo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have chronic anemia. However, after heavy menstrual bleeding for 25 days, I fell under the extreme anemic category. I was .9 away from a transfusion. My symptoms at their worst were inability to get out of bed, dizziness even while sitting and while walking, legs felt like I was walking through water, struggled with cognitive thinking, could not focus my eyes, and always felt like I had run a marathon or two every day. I have been taking 90 mg of iron for about two weeks now and some symptoms have lessened but none is gone. Some days are still really rough I can barely get through the day. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Dailee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Before I was diagnosed with anemia, I only began to think something was wrong with me when my fingers starting shaking when I pointed them or my hand shook when I held my hand out. I thought it was a little weird, I felt out of breath when walking up stairs because my weight was considered low normal range and I didn't have asthma.

Comment from: Rivaldo45, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have pounding heart that I can hear in my ears. I am tired, moody and weak because of anemia. I have no sleep and headaches (migraines).

Comment from: Angel face, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was anemic for many years, it runs in the family. The symptoms are terribly dry skin, weakness in knees and back, cold hands and feet, cold when most people feel normal, and heart palpitations at times. I was taking Slow Fe over the counter iron supplement, then doctor prescribed Corvite. This didn't help, then I started to search for natural treatment. Blackstrap molasses help somewhat but I was still feeling the weakness as well as the other symptoms. But one thing I must admit, the molasses work better than a pain killer for the PMS (premenstrual syndrome) pain but the big break came when I discovered Jing herbs. What was affecting me almost all my life, was gone in almost one day. I couldn't believe, I had to go up and down the stairs to see if the weakness was gone and everyday my body is feeling better. When the guy said to me take 3 capsules on empty stomach twice a day I didn't believe it would work. I thought maybe it was another waste of money but thank goodness I had the strength to hold on till it worked.

Comment from: amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have had symptoms of anemia for a year and have now finally been diagnosed after numerous general physician visits. I am always tired, dizzy, with weak heavy legs, light headed and get head rushes, chest pain and hair loss. This got worse over time. I am now starting iron tablets and B12 shots. Hope it works.

Comment from: Rhonda , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I found out I was anemic after seeking medical care for chronic heavy bleeding during periods. My symptoms have included dizziness, heart palpitations, fatigue, and shortness of breath. Currently, my blood count is 9. I'm concerned that it may drop lower before my surgery, and I may need a transfusion. I've also had ice cravings and frequent headaches.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I went to my doctor for a physical and found out I was anemic. It explains the reason I came home from a business trip absolutely exhausted. I could not move the next day. Also I have had two terrible dizzy spells in the past three months that have knocked me off my feet. I thought all these symptoms were caused by stress or even depression. I am looking forward to getting it "fixed" so I feel better and get my energy back.

It has been a couple of months that I have been feeling that I was running a low grade fever, was very weak and tired, I was always suffering from a headache and I felt very irritable. I went to my doctor and he told me it was stress. It wasn't until I asked him to refer me to a dermatologist, because I had been noticing a lot of hair loss and tiny red dots on my skin, that I was told that my count was 7. It has been two and a half months now and I have been taking Palafer (and iron supplement) with orange juice (Vitamin C helps absorption of iron) and I still don't feel my usual self. I still have the weakness and dizziness and my hair won't stop shedding which is now a big concern for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

Anemia - Experience

Tell us about your experience with anemia.