Viewer Comments: Anemia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

Comment from: justshawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Straight iron Liquid has helped me tremendously.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was feeling weak, and tired with dizzy spells and shortness of breath. I craved ice like my life depended on it! My mouth and eyes were dry, and I got sores on my tongue. My fingertips were numb and peeling with sores. My nails were splitting and growing in gnarled. My doctor did a CBC and called me to say I needed to immediately be admitted to the hospital as my Hgb was 4. I had 3 blood transfusions and a work up of tests. My anemia was from heavy menstrual bleeding combined with taking Acifex for GERD. It blocks oral iron absorption. My treatment is periodic IV iron infusions.

Comment from: dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I now for two months have been so fatigued and passing out. I'm so weak and I don't sleep. I can only walk short distances without feeling I'm going to pass out. I've lost 20lbs in just over one month which puts be down to 98lbs. I am irritable and I can't remember things. I have extremely low blood pressure, and no appetite. After many blood tests my doctors finally diagnosed anemia.

Comment from: Cassandra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My anemia has been treated by taking iron pills.

Comment from: jv46, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 03

my sister is anemic and when she went into the hospital she was anemic but she had surgery to fix a fracture of the femur and has had to have 8 pints of blood they are giving her ultra sound of liver, kidneys, gallbladder, pancreas, does this indicate she has a more serious problem than just the sugery. they say she didnt bleed hardly after the surgery, so what does this indicate?

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I became very tired and unable to walk short distances. I was always cold. My arms and legs were very weak. I could barely breathe. Did not sleep well and I was exhausted all the time. I could not bend over without feeling like passing out. I thought it was my heart. Dr. did a complete blood count and my they said I was critical. I was put in the hospital and given a transfusion of 3 bags of blood. I'm still not good, but I'm better than I was. We don't know the cause.

Comment from: LIZBETH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was recently hospitalized with severe anemia. I received three units of blood. The problem is that I was discharged without the doctors ever finding the cause. I've never had a history of anemia.

Comment from: Idmec, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I've had polio at 6 months and it left me physically disabled. Towards end of 2008 I felt 'needle-pins' sensations on the soles of my feet which rendered walking difficult. I also suffered fatigue and I fell more often. By December I was a physical wreck and I suspected 'full blown'. A medical check-up revealed no HIV, but severe anemia, instead. Medication and a balanced diet achieved miracles for me.

Comment from: L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia 6 weeks ago. I was feeling tired. I couldn't walk long distances without my legs feeling tired, doctor took blood tests and hence the result.

Comment from: Miafia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I went to my GP because I thought I had some kind of mental disease or dementia. A routine blood test showed I am anemic, followed by a blood test to check my iron stores. I'm waiting on the results of the latter before I start treatment. It's such a relief to finally get a reason for my symptoms. My GP told me that anemia causes the extreme tiredness I was feeling plus it explained my apparent cognitive impairment.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?