Viewer Comments: Anemia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your anemia?

Comment from: Chrissy C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was anemic due to heavy blood loss from menses. Taking back to back birth control pills to eliminate periods entirely has brought up my iron levels.

Comment from: stee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I went for a blood test and was told that my blood count was lower than normal. I was surprised as I really don't have any real sign that would suggest I am anemic but my nails cracks in few places though and realized too that I get drowsy only when I am hungry. I have gastric problem and I thought it might be an issue that causes it. I am 62 years old and I am not taking chances. I am taking daily doses of iron tablets and due back for review in 2 weeks.

Comment from: la6ph, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 27

For my anemia I take iron pills, had a blood transfusion and now a shot once a month

Comment from: Leo456, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I also experienced tiredness, severe headaches, dry mouth, body aches and get very irritable. Throat very dry and cough alot. Nose very dry. I was told I suffer from low blood pressure. I eat spinach,take supplements and even eat half raw liver. Even get Vit B12 injections. Not getting or feeling any better.

Comment from: tired all the time, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I went for a physical and was told my blood level was 7. I refused transfusion and started iron infusions. I craved ice; knees that ache kept me awake at night. I was diagnosed with eczema, and had bells palsy all related to being anemic. I still feel tired not enough energy. I have 2 more treatments to go. I hope to feel better soon.

Comment from: Diamond, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have to get iron infusions when I become anemic due to a history of colon cancer and colon resection...If I don't stay on top of my anemia, I may need to get blood transfusions too, not often but on occasion I do.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with chronic anemia a week ago after a long period of sickness including severe headaches, tired all of the time, sore muscles, blurred vision, dizziness, tingling hands feet and arms, easy bruising, and heart palpitations. This Chronic anemia was brought on by severe heavy loss of blood menstrualy. Over the past 17 years I have been going to doctors and telling them my bleeding is out of control and their answer was "some women go through this and it is normal". Now I am being tested for Uterus Cancer.

Must Read Articles Related to Anemia

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anemia:

Anemia - Experience

Please describe your experience with anemia.

Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?