Animal Bites (cont.)
Animal Bite Prevention
With common sense, a person can lower the risk of being bitten by an animal:
- Avoid contact and interaction with unknown animals. Even animals that appear friendly can bite if provoked.
- Do not feed or try to catch or play with wild animals such as squirrels, raccoons, or rats.
- Do not disturb an animal while it is feeding or taking care of its young.
- Use great care when "aggressively" playing with an animal. Even the family dog can bite its owner by accident.
- Do not stick your fingers into animals' cages (for example, at the pet store, zoo, or dog show).
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/19/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Animal Bites
Land Animal Bite
A person attacked by a land animal should attempt to identify the type of animal, the time of the injury, and the nature of the attack. All animal bites should ...learn more >>
Wounds are lacerations, cuts, or punctures in the skin. Wounds can be superficial, deep, punctures, or pressure sores. The amount of pain, inflammation, and ble...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Animal Bites: