Animal Bites (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Animal Bite Self-Care at Home
Thoroughly clean the wound by washing with soap and tap water as soon as possible. Never use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on a wound. While hydrogen peroxide was used for years, medical studies have shown that it is harmful to a wound and slows or inhibits the healing process. A light scrubbing should occur during the wash. Then put a clean and dry bandage over the area. This treatment should not replace proper evaluation by a doctor.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/26/2015
Scott D Fell, DO, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Animal Bites
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Animal Bites:
Animal Bites - Type and Treatment
What kind of animal bit you, and what was the treatment?
- Your Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication