Animal Bites (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Animal Bite Medical Treatment
Depending on the status of the bite wound, local wound care varies.
If the wound was sutured on the first visit, then the wound should be kept clean and dry. Showers are permitted, but the area should be dried by patting it softly to avoid disrupting the sutures. No baths or submersion of a sutured wound should occur until the stitches are removed and the patient it told it is allowed.
If the wound was left open, then the doctor may recommend daily soaks or other treatments.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/26/2015
Scott D Fell, DO, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Animal Bites
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Animal Bites:
Animal Bites - Type and Treatment
What kind of animal bit you, and what was the treatment?
- Your Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication