Ankle Fracture (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care
If a person has injured an ankle, contact a doctor or go to an emergency
department. Seek medical treatment if for an ankle injury in the following
- A person cannot bear weight on the ankle.
- The pain remains intolerable despite using over-the-counter
- Home care fails to reduce the pain.
- The foot or ankle becomes numb, partially numb, or pale.
- A gross deformity of the ankle bones is present
- Bones or bone fragments visible outside the ankle skin
- Inability to move the toes
- Inability to move the ankle
- Cold or blue foot
Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture
The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle: