Ankle Fracture (cont.)
Broken Ankle Medical Treatment and Surgery
- Doctors usually place a splint on the injured ankle for a few days to 2
weeks until the swelling decreases around the joint. The type of fracture and
the stability of the fractured joint will determine the type of splint that will be used,
or whether surgery is needed.
- If the ankle bones are not aligned properly, the doctor may realign them
before placing the splint.
- If the bones cannot be realigned properly in the emergency department, the patient may require an operation.
- Surgery may also be needed if any bone has broken through the skin. If the
bone breaks through the skin, the fracture is called a compound fracture.
This is more serious than a simple fracture.
- Some minor ankle fractures do not require a splint or cast. In these cases
the fracture will be managed as an ankle sprain.
- Because these fractures are very small, they heal well with this
- With any injured ankle, however, patients should not bear weight until a
cast is placed or until the ankle joint is pain free; check with the orthopedist
about when weight bearing should be attempted.
- After the swelling decreases and the patient is reexamined, an
orthopedic doctor or a primary care doctor may place a better-fitting cast on
the ankle. Depending on the type of fracture, the patient may be placed in a
walking cast, which can bear some weight, or the patient may need a
non-weight-bearing cast that will require the use of crutches to
assist with walking.
- Depending on the degree of pain, the doctor may prescribe pain medication.
The patient should use the pain medication only as needed. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while using these
Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture
The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle: