Viewer Comments: Broken Ankle - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Comment from: Russ23, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I cracked my lower tibia 1 week ago, and the specialist said I also have a small chip just above the crack. From the accident on the first day you obviously have extreme pain part of which is similar to when you have a blood pressure test cuff squeezed on the upper arm. Only this is worse, and extremely bad when you lower your leg. I found that this symptom eased up a couple of days ago, then during the night when I tried to get up I found that the pain was so bad it took me ages to be able to lower my leg.

Comment from: Virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I slipped on the ice and dislocated and broke my left ankle in three places. I had two surgeries, the first to set the bones, and the second to insert screws and a plate. This happened 7 weeks ago and I am using a boot and a cane. My ankle is bruised and swollen. Physical therapy is helping a lot. My current problem is that in wishing to resume my normal activities, I find myself to be so weary. Things I am used to doing with ease seem to tire me out. I'm not sure whether I should push ahead through the fatigue, or rest longer. I am getting frustrated and somewhat depressed.

Comment from: MidwestGal73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

My ankle had 3 fractures. The symptoms immediately after breaking it (bike wreck) were: odd shape, the sensation of domino pieces or tile clanking together inside my ankle whenever it moved, and intense pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.