Viewer Comments: Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.

Comment from: SavannahJul, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I broke both tibia and fibula after slipping on wet grass on 9/22/15. I had plate with five screws put on one side and one huge screw on the other side. That was 9/30. I was never in a cast, just an air cast. Two weeks ago my bones were pronounced totally healed and I was able to bear full weight again, with just a DonJoy brace. I have had one physiotherapy session and am trying to do exercises on my own. I have daily swelling but very little pain. I try to elevate my ankle an hour for every 3 to 4 not elevated, and ice it when I do. The swelling does subside quickly when I ice. Ankle looks almost normal first thing in the morning. It's depressing but the recovery on this ankle is not going to be fast. Doctor just doesn't like to tell you that since he knows you'll find out soon enough!

Comment from: Cidewoodr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I broke my fibula just above the ankle after a fall on ice. I had a plate and screws to hold the bone together and plaster cast for 7 weeks and had to be non-load bearing. When the cast was removed I was given a support boot and was able to put about 50 percent weight on the foot whilst using crutches. It's now another 3 weeks on and I am able to walk carefully without the boot with a bit of a limp as the ankle tends to swell without the boot. The ankle is still quite sore, but is now starting to improve. I saw a physiotherapist yesterday and she has given me some stretching exercises to do on my ankle. She said the stretching would reduce the swelling and free up the ankle, as long as I do the stretching on a regular basis.

Comment from: lucia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have a distal fibula break. I am in splint until Monday which would be 5 days and then will see the orthopedist for a walking cast.

Comment from: B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I Broke MY ankle in several places. I had surgery and had a plate and pins put in. I was in bed most of the time. For two months, I used a walker or wheel chair. I though after I got my cast off it would be all better. I had gone to therapy, but my walking was not good so the doctor decided I need to have pins and plates removed after six months. I am now walking better after seven months, but I'm still really stiff.

Comment from: Beckii, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I fell and had a trimalleolar fracture of the ankle and two fractures of the fibula over six months ago. I had a plate and five screws put in. I was non-weight bearing for 12 weeks and then had two of the screws removed. I had physical therapy for one month. I am still having trouble walking distances which is frustrating. From what I understand, this is an accident that occurs with Marines and athletes. I hope I'll be back to normal in a few more weeks.

Comment from: Charlotte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I broke my ankle in two places about a month ago, and just had the opportunity to get rid of the moon boot yesterday! I required open ankle surgery on one side of the ankle and the other side was a straight fracture not requiring surgery. Both sides hurt! So I'm wearing sneakers and the foot is very painful, still, around the ankle and above the foot, and it feels weird if I stand on the injured foot without sneakers. I am taking Mobic to reduce the swelling and am not walking a lot to minimize swelling. I start rehab this week on the ankle and hope that I can regain range of motion and reduce the pain I now feel.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?