Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

...
Comment from: Tricia123, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

My husband has twisted/sprained/broke his foot in a hole in our yard yesterday. He still hasn't gone to the doctor! He is limping around and his ankle is swollen. We have iced it down we have wrapped it.

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I broke my ankle playing with my son's dog Dakota, a 90-pound chocolate lab. She won! I have Parkinson's disease and I don't have good balance anyway. She hit the back of my leg, I went down, and the rest is history. I am in a walking boot but cannot put weight on it at all.

Comment from: Maddie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was attempting to dismount the horse I was riding when he spooked. I fell to the ground. It happened very fast. When I went to stand up I knew I had injured my ankle. The urgent care doctor put me in a boot.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I was rollerblading and rolled my ankle splitting the fibula up from the ankle. I had a plate and nine screws installed . I spent five weeks in a cast and then two weeks in a boot non-weight bearing and then four more weeks in the boot and allowed to walk . I took the boot off a week ago and now have a splint that I wear in my shoe . I have no bone pain and haven't since a couple days after the surgery . There's muscle pain and stiffness but I walk every day and the muscles are getting stronger and there's less stiffness . I listened to my Dr. and did exactly what he said and the only thing that was unbearable was the boredom . Listen to your Dr.

Comment from: Piano<3, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

It was during field day and we were doing the sack race. The school decided to put it on uneven ground. When I was hopping my way back I hit an uneven spot and my right ankle went to the right side. My ankle bone touched the ground. I still participated in some of the activities but I was writhing in pain.

Comment from: sunny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

After 20 years of not being in a pair of skates… I was only on the skates 15 minutes when I fell backwards twisted my ankle and landed on it! I have torn two ligaments on the inner ankle and broke the outer bone of the ankle. I will need surgery to repair the damage I did. That means a metal plate and two screws. I ordered a knee scooter because I cannot bear any weight on my ankle for three months.

Comment from: walker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I fractured my ankle walking a dog. At 55, this is my first broken bone. Thought I was being careful by wearing my heavy duty snow boots since I knew the area would be wet and muddy. While my right foot 'gracefully' slid in the muddy grass landing me on my right side (without any bruising), my left boot stuck in the mud, didn't move. I thought I just sprained my ankle - I could bear weight & walk on it - it was just sore. At home I did the R.I.C.E. and limited my walking. At first the swelling and pain went down, so I started working the ankle as rehab. After a week from the fall, the improvement had stopped, so I saw my doctor. The X-ray showed a fracture of the fibula near the ankle. Now the specialist has my leg in a hard cast & I have orders to be non-weight bearing cast for six to eight weeks with the goal of avoiding surgery. My doggies are not happy!

Comment from: Monique, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I fell down the stairs from the third step from the bottom. My left ankle slipped off of step and rolled. I guess I shifted my weight to the right and went off of the side of the steps (there was no rail) and my leg snapped and ankle dislocated. I have three fractures in my right ankle that required two plates and screws and a long screw through inside of ankle. The left one had two fractures with one plate and screws and another long screw. My right one was also dislocated. It has been 13 weeks. I was in a non-weight bearing on the left ankle for four weeks and a non-weight bearing on the right for almost eight weeks. I expected to be able to do more and have less pain by now. It seems to get worse. I am hoping physical therapy will change this and I can put this behind me.

Comment from: Kelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I slipped on black ice. It has been a little over a month since my surgery. I have a plate and six pins. The first two weeks I was extremely sick from pain meds. Now swelling is a problem. I'm having a problem sitting still too. I hate not being independent. I'm so bored. The waiting to heal is the toughest part now. Hopefully the worst is behind me.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.