Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: noveleagle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 83 and I have no idea what caused my ankle to fracture. I was walking across an uncluttered floor when I took a step and heard what sounded like 4 shots. Knowing it was my ankle breaking I slumped to the floor, attracted my neighbor's attention and she called the emergency squad. All 3 of my right ankle bones were broken and I had a linear fracture in my left that was quickly booted and allowed to heal on its own. The right, of course, required surgery. That was 3 months ago and although I've been able to bear weight on it for about 5 weeks it is still weak, swollen and painful.

Comment from: Pili, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I'm 53 years old and was jogging at night, as I do usually when I get out of work. There was an opening on the sidewalk and I stepped in. My foot went to one side, then the other and I fell forward to the ground. Since I got scraped all over I did not know which was the more painful, I was able to get up and walk to the bus stop till my son picked me up. I thought that the swelling and the bruises around my ankle were normal so I waited till the following day, and the pain got worse and I could not put weight on my foot. At urgent care they took x-rays and sure enough I had a fractured distal left fibula, I was first placed on a soft cast till I saw the orthopedic surgeon, and I was placed on a hard cast with crutches for 4 weeks. My follow up visit was this week and even though my fracture is healing I still have another 4 weeks to go and I now have a boot with minimal weight placed on my left foot. It has been hard working because at the end of the day my foot feels like it's got a cylinder block on it and is still swollen and bruised. The doctor said it was normal, I hope my next visit will be good news that I get my boot off and start my rehabilitation back to normal activity.

Comment from: Rodster, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was working on an aluminum multi ladder which snapped a pivot bolt. I was at 12 ft. and fell straight down onto concrete. I didn't feel the pain for several minutes after I saw my foot was twisted and upside down. I shattered the tibia and fibula in 6 places, mostly around the base right by the ankle joint. Fortunately I was taken to a trauma center as they were concerned about head \ neck injuries. I was rushed right in to see trauma crew without any long delays, which is normal for this hospital. The surgeon determined that the swelling was too bad to operate and I ended up with an external fixator. Steel rods and screws that hold everything together until soft tissue heals. Three weeks later I had the operation. I have 4 plates and 24 screws aligning my ankle bones. The pain was 9 to 10 on the scale for two days. I had a follow up exam with x-rays a week later and my surgeon says my ankle looks good. I still have bad swelling and numbness. I am going stir crazy with boredom as I'm not one who sits around all day. I'm told swelling is normal and can last months! No weight for 3 months. However, the pain is manageable. I'm looking at a knee walker to help keep my upper leg in shape and to gain back some mobility. I just hope I can outlast the boredom!

Comment from: Rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been playing rugby for almost 10 years, and never once had I been injured until 3 weeks ago. I gained possession of the ball, turned to pass it off while falling, then someone fell on my already turned ankle. I didn't feel too much pain at all, maybe because of the adrenalin, but I definitely heard my bones crack. When my teammates carried me off the field, it felt like my ankle was floating around inside my leg, it was pretty gross. I finally made it to the hospital about 2 hours later, where I learned that I needed to have surgery that night and I couldn't go home. I had a double fracture to both sides of my ankle. I was awake during the surgery where they inserted a metal plate and 8 screws. Skipping the horrible hospital stories, I'm now home and it's been a little more than 3 weeks. Still no weight-bearing, but my scars are healing pretty well. For someone who doesn't do anything all day, I'm pretty sleepy. But I guess it's my body trying to heal itself.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

Walking on an icy sidewalk, I slipped and fell. I slowly and painfully made my way back to the house (luckily I had not gone too far). I thought I would be all right if I just sat down for a while and relaxed, but I then tried to walk to my bedroom to lie down, and it hurt like crazy just to put any weight at all on it! I got a ride to the emergency room (ER) where I got an x-ray, and learned I had broken my fibula. I was put in a splint, due to there being some pretty good swelling. I had surgery a week later, got a plate and 8 screws in it. Two weeks after that, I was put in a hard cast. After two more weeks, I got that cast off, and was finally able to get rid of my crutches. It's now a week after that, and I still can't quite walk like I used to, but it's slowly getting better! I am still taking ibuprofen, was taking Norco but don't really need that anymore.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 59 year old female and fell down the back steps where I work. I knew my foot was hurt badly because I couldn't even put any weight on it. They took me to the hospital and my ankle and the top of my foot is broken. I was off work for a week and have it in a boot with crutches. I have been back to work for a week and I thought setting at a desk would not be bad, but by the time I go home in the evenings I am nearly in tears. I am wondering how long it takes for the pain and swelling to ease up. I don't go back to the doctor for six weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.