Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

...
Comment from: Ellie83, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I got up out of bed to shut my bedroom window. Once I stood up, my left ankle went out from underneath me like it wasn't even there and I fell full force to the ground. I got a spiral fracture on my left fibula. Guess my ankle/leg twisted as I went down. Very scary moment.

Comment from: Kathynoel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I was leaving my son's graduation ceremony and slipped on a small grassy incline and heard an unmistakable crack. X-rays confirmed my tibia was fractured and the rest of my ankle was severely sprained. My doctor put me in a boot cast and I started physical therapy about ten days after I broke the ankle. My follow up appointment with the doctor is in a week and I hope to be out of the cast and allowed to wear a gym shoe and drive instead of being carted around. Having a broken ankle makes me miss my freedom but I appreciate that I have family I can rely on because I know many others do not.

Comment from: Rosydi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

Just this past weekend my husband and I were leaving to go shopping. I fell down the front steps, twisting both of my ankles. My left ankle immediately started to swell and I immediately began to lie on the ground in the worst pain I have had since childbirth. My husband quickly got me in the car and we went to the emergency room. I broke my fibula in 2 places, and my tibia in 1 place. They just gave me a boot, and sent me home though. I saw the orthopedist on Monday, I am non weight bearing for at least another week. This thing is so painful, and swollen. Just awful!

Comment from: noveleagle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 83 and I have no idea what caused my ankle to fracture. I was walking across an uncluttered floor when I took a step and heard what sounded like 4 shots. Knowing it was my ankle breaking I slumped to the floor, attracted my neighbor's attention and she called the emergency squad. All 3 of my right ankle bones were broken and I had a linear fracture in my left that was quickly booted and allowed to heal on its own. The right, of course, required surgery. That was 3 months ago and although I've been able to bear weight on it for about 5 weeks it is still weak, swollen and painful.

Comment from: Pili, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I'm 53 years old and was jogging at night, as I do usually when I get out of work. There was an opening on the sidewalk and I stepped in. My foot went to one side, then the other and I fell forward to the ground. Since I got scraped all over I did not know which was the more painful, I was able to get up and walk to the bus stop till my son picked me up. I thought that the swelling and the bruises around my ankle were normal so I waited till the following day, and the pain got worse and I could not put weight on my foot. At urgent care they took x-rays and sure enough I had a fractured distal left fibula, I was first placed on a soft cast till I saw the orthopedic surgeon, and I was placed on a hard cast with crutches for 4 weeks. My follow up visit was this week and even though my fracture is healing I still have another 4 weeks to go and I now have a boot with minimal weight placed on my left foot. It has been hard working because at the end of the day my foot feels like it's got a cylinder block on it and is still swollen and bruised. The doctor said it was normal, I hope my next visit will be good news that I get my boot off and start my rehabilitation back to normal activity.

Comment from: Rodster, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was working on an aluminum multi ladder which snapped a pivot bolt. I was at 12 ft. and fell straight down onto concrete. I didn't feel the pain for several minutes after I saw my foot was twisted and upside down. I shattered the tibia and fibula in 6 places, mostly around the base right by the ankle joint. Fortunately I was taken to a trauma center as they were concerned about head \ neck injuries. I was rushed right in to see trauma crew without any long delays, which is normal for this hospital. The surgeon determined that the swelling was too bad to operate and I ended up with an external fixator. Steel rods and screws that hold everything together until soft tissue heals. Three weeks later I had the operation. I have 4 plates and 24 screws aligning my ankle bones. The pain was 9 to 10 on the scale for two days. I had a follow up exam with x-rays a week later and my surgeon says my ankle looks good. I still have bad swelling and numbness. I am going stir crazy with boredom as I'm not one who sits around all day. I'm told swelling is normal and can last months! No weight for 3 months. However, the pain is manageable. I'm looking at a knee walker to help keep my upper leg in shape and to gain back some mobility. I just hope I can outlast the boredom!

Comment from: Rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been playing rugby for almost 10 years, and never once had I been injured until 3 weeks ago. I gained possession of the ball, turned to pass it off while falling, then someone fell on my already turned ankle. I didn't feel too much pain at all, maybe because of the adrenalin, but I definitely heard my bones crack. When my teammates carried me off the field, it felt like my ankle was floating around inside my leg, it was pretty gross. I finally made it to the hospital about 2 hours later, where I learned that I needed to have surgery that night and I couldn't go home. I had a double fracture to both sides of my ankle. I was awake during the surgery where they inserted a metal plate and 8 screws. Skipping the horrible hospital stories, I'm now home and it's been a little more than 3 weeks. Still no weight-bearing, but my scars are healing pretty well. For someone who doesn't do anything all day, I'm pretty sleepy. But I guess it's my body trying to heal itself.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?