Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: Rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been playing rugby for almost 10 years, and never once had I been injured until 3 weeks ago. I gained possession of the ball, turned to pass it off while falling, then someone fell on my already turned ankle. I didn't feel too much pain at all, maybe because of the adrenalin, but I definitely heard my bones crack. When my teammates carried me off the field, it felt like my ankle was floating around inside my leg, it was pretty gross. I finally made it to the hospital about 2 hours later, where I learned that I needed to have surgery that night and I couldn't go home. I had a double fracture to both sides of my ankle. I was awake during the surgery where they inserted a metal plate and 8 screws. Skipping the horrible hospital stories, I'm now home and it's been a little more than 3 weeks. Still no weight-bearing, but my scars are healing pretty well. For someone who doesn't do anything all day, I'm pretty sleepy. But I guess it's my body trying to heal itself.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

Walking on an icy sidewalk, I slipped and fell. I slowly and painfully made my way back to the house (luckily I had not gone too far). I thought I would be all right if I just sat down for a while and relaxed, but I then tried to walk to my bedroom to lie down, and it hurt like crazy just to put any weight at all on it! I got a ride to the emergency room (ER) where I got an x-ray, and learned I had broken my fibula. I was put in a splint, due to there being some pretty good swelling. I had surgery a week later, got a plate and 8 screws in it. Two weeks after that, I was put in a hard cast. After two more weeks, I got that cast off, and was finally able to get rid of my crutches. It's now a week after that, and I still can't quite walk like I used to, but it's slowly getting better! I am still taking ibuprofen, was taking Norco but don't really need that anymore.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 59 year old female and fell down the back steps where I work. I knew my foot was hurt badly because I couldn't even put any weight on it. They took me to the hospital and my ankle and the top of my foot is broken. I was off work for a week and have it in a boot with crutches. I have been back to work for a week and I thought setting at a desk would not be bad, but by the time I go home in the evenings I am nearly in tears. I am wondering how long it takes for the pain and swelling to ease up. I don't go back to the doctor for six weeks.

Comment from: Stelaraemo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Hi, I'm a caregiver and a patient. I live in an old house that has five large concrete steps on the front porch. I was leaving for work when my overloaded hands and packages wobbled, then I wobbled and thus began my downward spiral down the front steps. I was grabbing for the rail, and the large shrub next to the rail, to no avail, my left foot wrenched downward to the outside, I hit the first step with it bent and then another, and another. Foot scraping all the way down. I finally landed on the concrete walkway and into the grass. It took a bit before I could get up, no one anywhere in site to help. I finally got up and managed to hobble to the car. I thought it would be okay once I settled down in my office and rested, but it didn't and the pain and swelling just got worse. I went to the emergency room to have it looked at. Hours later, I was finally seen and they determined there were no beaks, but they couldn't tell about fractures because of the swelling. It's now three weeks later and I'm still swollen, pain has been pretty bad. I'll see my primary. After reading about fractures on this site and what causes them, I could easily see it being a fracture and understood a little more about my dilemma. I didn't get this much information from the emergency room doctor. When I see my primary on Friday, I will have my list in hand so that I don't forget to tell him any of the signs from the list that I feel apply to my situation. The straight forward layout of information was so helpful.

Comment from: jappier, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I fell down the stairs in my house. I went to the emergency room in my town. I had to have four X-rays, then a CT scan to see if anything else was broken. They finally told me that I broke my ankle. I had to have surgery and I stayed in the hospital overnight.

Comment from: Laura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I rolled my ankle going down three steps to the laundry room. I fell to the ground and immediately knew my ankle was broken. I had three-hour wait in emergency room. I am home now and I am frustrated out of my mind. I am so bored that I want to clean my house more than anything.

Comment from: Libbie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I slipped on my front steps after a light rain. I have lived 69 years without a broken bone. I knew my left ankle was injured so my husband wrapped it with an ACE bandage, put an ice pack on it and I kept it elevated all day. The next day I went to my primary care physician and she sent me ASAP to an orthopedist. After an X-ray, I was diagnosed with a fractured fibula, put in a walking boot and told not to put any weight on it. I go back in three weeks for follow-up X-rays. I am keeping it elevated and not putting any weight on it. I do not want to have surgery, so I am following the doctor's orders! I appreciated the other stories of similar breaks as they gave me some insight as how to handle my injury.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.