Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: Rodster, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was working on an aluminum multi ladder which snapped a pivot bolt. I was at 12 ft. and fell straight down onto concrete. I didn't feel the pain for several minutes after I saw my foot was twisted and upside down. I shattered the tibia and fibula in 6 places, mostly around the base right by the ankle joint. Fortunately I was taken to a trauma center as they were concerned about head \ neck injuries. I was rushed right in to see trauma crew without any long delays, which is normal for this hospital. The surgeon determined that the swelling was too bad to operate and I ended up with an external fixator. Steel rods and screws that hold everything together until soft tissue heals. Three weeks later I had the operation. I have 4 plates and 24 screws aligning my ankle bones. The pain was 9 to 10 on the scale for two days. I had a follow up exam with x-rays a week later and my surgeon says my ankle looks good. I still have bad swelling and numbness. I am going stir crazy with boredom as I'm not one who sits around all day. I'm told swelling is normal and can last months! No weight for 3 months. However, the pain is manageable. I'm looking at a knee walker to help keep my upper leg in shape and to gain back some mobility. I just hope I can outlast the boredom!

Comment from: Rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been playing rugby for almost 10 years, and never once had I been injured until 3 weeks ago. I gained possession of the ball, turned to pass it off while falling, then someone fell on my already turned ankle. I didn't feel too much pain at all, maybe because of the adrenalin, but I definitely heard my bones crack. When my teammates carried me off the field, it felt like my ankle was floating around inside my leg, it was pretty gross. I finally made it to the hospital about 2 hours later, where I learned that I needed to have surgery that night and I couldn't go home. I had a double fracture to both sides of my ankle. I was awake during the surgery where they inserted a metal plate and 8 screws. Skipping the horrible hospital stories, I'm now home and it's been a little more than 3 weeks. Still no weight-bearing, but my scars are healing pretty well. For someone who doesn't do anything all day, I'm pretty sleepy. But I guess it's my body trying to heal itself.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

Walking on an icy sidewalk, I slipped and fell. I slowly and painfully made my way back to the house (luckily I had not gone too far). I thought I would be all right if I just sat down for a while and relaxed, but I then tried to walk to my bedroom to lie down, and it hurt like crazy just to put any weight at all on it! I got a ride to the emergency room (ER) where I got an x-ray, and learned I had broken my fibula. I was put in a splint, due to there being some pretty good swelling. I had surgery a week later, got a plate and 8 screws in it. Two weeks after that, I was put in a hard cast. After two more weeks, I got that cast off, and was finally able to get rid of my crutches. It's now a week after that, and I still can't quite walk like I used to, but it's slowly getting better! I am still taking ibuprofen, was taking Norco but don't really need that anymore.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 59 year old female and fell down the back steps where I work. I knew my foot was hurt badly because I couldn't even put any weight on it. They took me to the hospital and my ankle and the top of my foot is broken. I was off work for a week and have it in a boot with crutches. I have been back to work for a week and I thought setting at a desk would not be bad, but by the time I go home in the evenings I am nearly in tears. I am wondering how long it takes for the pain and swelling to ease up. I don't go back to the doctor for six weeks.

Comment from: Stelaraemo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Hi, I'm a caregiver and a patient. I live in an old house that has five large concrete steps on the front porch. I was leaving for work when my overloaded hands and packages wobbled, then I wobbled and thus began my downward spiral down the front steps. I was grabbing for the rail, and the large shrub next to the rail, to no avail, my left foot wrenched downward to the outside, I hit the first step with it bent and then another, and another. Foot scraping all the way down. I finally landed on the concrete walkway and into the grass. It took a bit before I could get up, no one anywhere in site to help. I finally got up and managed to hobble to the car. I thought it would be okay once I settled down in my office and rested, but it didn't and the pain and swelling just got worse. I went to the emergency room to have it looked at. Hours later, I was finally seen and they determined there were no beaks, but they couldn't tell about fractures because of the swelling. It's now three weeks later and I'm still swollen, pain has been pretty bad. I'll see my primary. After reading about fractures on this site and what causes them, I could easily see it being a fracture and understood a little more about my dilemma. I didn't get this much information from the emergency room doctor. When I see my primary on Friday, I will have my list in hand so that I don't forget to tell him any of the signs from the list that I feel apply to my situation. The straight forward layout of information was so helpful.

Comment from: 2soon old 2late smrt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I fell approximately 3.5 feet from a step ladder while trying to clear 2 feet of snow from my roof on 2/10/2015. My ankle is still quite bothersome 10/15/2015.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.