Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: Lloyd ., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. I was freestyle motorbike riding when I cleared a 60 foot Jump. I went about 25 feet in the air and came down flat, nearly breaking my back. The impact shattered both ankles. I was in the hospital for nearly three weeks waiting for surgery, then another week after surgery. The surgery took five hours, my left ankle has 20 screws and two plates. The right ankle has 10 screws with one plate. I am now in a wheelchair for three months, non-weight bearing, then learning how to walk again. Joint fusion is on the cards. Before the accident I was super fit which is probably a lost cause now - according to the doctor I will never even be able to walk on the beach again because of the uneven surface. Doctors don't always know everything. Anyway - Love, peace and chicken grease.

Comment from: momof3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was on my way to work. I stop to get gas and step over the hose and step wrong and my ankle rolled and I went down. My husband was there to get gas on his way to work also, thank God. I knew right then it was broken. I could not stand up. I got X-rays that confirmed that it was broken in three places. I had surgery the following week. I am 6 weeks in from surgery and I'm told no weight bearing for 8 weeks then a boot for 4 to 6 weeks. This is my first break at 55 years old! Just the day before my fall we were talking about broken bones and I was bragging how I had never broken anything but a toe. I pray I never do again this has not be fun at all. I turned my walker over and hit the floor the other night. Nothing broke but my spirit.

Comment from: aakms, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was out riding my horse without a saddle. The horse ended up taking a weird step and so I lost my balance and fell off. When I fell, I landed on the side of my ankle. I ended up dislocating and breaking my ankle as well as breaking my wrist.

Comment from: MimiMouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was pushing my shopping cart to my truck when an elderly man stomped on his gas pedal, hit me, and plowed me through the guardrail, glass, bricks, of the store front and through shelving and merchandise. I landed on the floor in front of the cash registers. I have nightmare flashbacks. My ankle fibula snapped, splintered, and I had another fracture in the lower ankle bone that sits on the top of the foot, as well as a fracture in my collarbone.

Comment from: Jec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

On December 24th 2013 I was visiting relatives and fell outside on the ice-covered driveway. Without a cell phone and all alone in the country I whistled and yelled until my niece heard me. My right foot was laying on the ground and my knee was pointing upward. I was brought to the hospital, X-rayed and operated on. I had three broken bones and two bones that splintered. I had plates and screws to hold everything together. I spent 6 weeks in a hard cast. I now have a boot that I can remove to exercise my ankle. I can have no weight on my right ankle until after April, 2014. I use a walker to get around. A few tricks are: put fanny packs on the walker to carry stuff (drinks that have covers), go up porch steps backwards (using walker on flat bottom surface for stability), get a medical toilet that will give you height and less stress on your good leg. I am getting good at hopping around. I have not had much pain but swelling is still a problem. I am doing everything I am told so hopefully I can return to work soon and to my home. My relatives got a visitor for Christmas, New Year's, and a few holidays not celebrated yet. LOL. Recovery is slow so find a sit down hobby to keep you busy and sleep whenever you can. Surround yourself with happy people and you will recover mentally and physically.

Comment from: babyjewelz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

When I was about 16 years old I injured my right ankle by slipping on ice.

Comment from: erna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I fell in my backyard. I stepped on wet leaves, and my foot slipped out from under me. I came down on my right foot. I knew immediately that my ankle was broken. I could not stand up and there was immediate swelling and pain. I went to ER and got X-rays, which showed a broken ankle and fibula. I have had surgery where the surgeon inserted pins and plate to hold my ankle together. I had a hard cast for 3 weeks. There can be no weight bearing. Today, I got a lighter cast, which I will wear for 5 weeks. Still no weight bearing. Then I will have surgery to remove the plate and pins, then rehab. I will be off work for 4 months! This is probably one of the worst things to happen to me! The boredom is the worst!

Comment from: Mary Merc, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Walking to the mailbox on the street, I turned and stepped on uneven raised berm and rolled my ankle. I bruised my right knee, two ribs, and hurt my hand. I walked around for 10 days in pain. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, had x-rays, and discovered that I had broken my ankle in two places. I am in I am in a walking boot for eight weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.