Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: Stelaraemo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Hi, I'm a caregiver and a patient. I live in an old house that has five large concrete steps on the front porch. I was leaving for work when my overloaded hands and packages wobbled, then I wobbled and thus began my downward spiral down the front steps. I was grabbing for the rail, and the large shrub next to the rail, to no avail, my left foot wrenched downward to the outside, I hit the first step with it bent and then another, and another. Foot scraping all the way down. I finally landed on the concrete walkway and into the grass. It took a bit before I could get up, no one anywhere in site to help. I finally got up and managed to hobble to the car. I thought it would be okay once I settled down in my office and rested, but it didn't and the pain and swelling just got worse. I went to the emergency room to have it looked at. Hours later, I was finally seen and they determined there were no beaks, but they couldn't tell about fractures because of the swelling. It's now three weeks later and I'm still swollen, pain has been pretty bad. I'll see my primary. After reading about fractures on this site and what causes them, I could easily see it being a fracture and understood a little more about my dilemma. I didn't get this much information from the emergency room doctor. When I see my primary on Friday, I will have my list in hand so that I don't forget to tell him any of the signs from the list that I feel apply to my situation. The straight forward layout of information was so helpful.

Comment from: 2soon old 2late smrt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I fell approximately 3.5 feet from a step ladder while trying to clear 2 feet of snow from my roof on 2/10/2015. My ankle is still quite bothersome 10/15/2015.

Comment from: jappier, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I fell down the stairs in my house. I went to the emergency room in my town. I had to have four X-rays, then a CT scan to see if anything else was broken. They finally told me that I broke my ankle. I had to have surgery and I stayed in the hospital overnight.

Comment from: Laura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I rolled my ankle going down three steps to the laundry room. I fell to the ground and immediately knew my ankle was broken. I had three-hour wait in emergency room. I am home now and I am frustrated out of my mind. I am so bored that I want to clean my house more than anything.

Comment from: Libbie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I slipped on my front steps after a light rain. I have lived 69 years without a broken bone. I knew my left ankle was injured so my husband wrapped it with an ACE bandage, put an ice pack on it and I kept it elevated all day. The next day I went to my primary care physician and she sent me ASAP to an orthopedist. After an X-ray, I was diagnosed with a fractured fibula, put in a walking boot and told not to put any weight on it. I go back in three weeks for follow-up X-rays. I am keeping it elevated and not putting any weight on it. I do not want to have surgery, so I am following the doctor's orders! I appreciated the other stories of similar breaks as they gave me some insight as how to handle my injury.

Comment from: Lloyd ., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. I was freestyle motorbike riding when I cleared a 60 foot Jump. I went about 25 feet in the air and came down flat, nearly breaking my back. The impact shattered both ankles. I was in the hospital for nearly three weeks waiting for surgery, then another week after surgery. The surgery took five hours, my left ankle has 20 screws and two plates. The right ankle has 10 screws with one plate. I am now in a wheelchair for three months, non-weight bearing, then learning how to walk again. Joint fusion is on the cards. Before the accident I was super fit which is probably a lost cause now - according to the doctor I will never even be able to walk on the beach again because of the uneven surface. Doctors don't always know everything. Anyway - Love, peace and chicken grease.

Comment from: momof3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was on my way to work. I stop to get gas and step over the hose and step wrong and my ankle rolled and I went down. My husband was there to get gas on his way to work also, thank God. I knew right then it was broken. I could not stand up. I got X-rays that confirmed that it was broken in three places. I had surgery the following week. I am 6 weeks in from surgery and I'm told no weight bearing for 8 weeks then a boot for 4 to 6 weeks. This is my first break at 55 years old! Just the day before my fall we were talking about broken bones and I was bragging how I had never broken anything but a toe. I pray I never do again this has not be fun at all. I turned my walker over and hit the floor the other night. Nothing broke but my spirit.

Comment from: aakms, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was out riding my horse without a saddle. The horse ended up taking a weird step and so I lost my balance and fell off. When I fell, I landed on the side of my ankle. I ended up dislocating and breaking my ankle as well as breaking my wrist.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.