Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: Horserider, Published: March 05

My horse slipped and fell while I was riding. She landed on my right leg, and have broken ankle and lower tibia fracture.

Comment from: HardWorkingWomen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I did this at work, I was prying some cement/stucco from a side of the window and started pulling with my bar when I slipped and fell straight down about five feet very hard. I thought I was fine until lunchtime when I couldn't walk that well. When I got home and took off my right side shoe it swelled like a balloon. The next day I couldn't even walk so I went to the doctor and was told it was fractured.

Comment from: TED, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I slipped on black ice.

Comment from: busybee527, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I slipped on the stairs that had no siderail and fell about seven feet. I landed directly on both feet. My left foot had injury on the instep, right foot had 3 fractures to my ankle that required surgery to implant a plate and then I had it casted. My left foot was in 'surgical boot' for 2 weeks. I still find myself limping on occasion.

Comment from: Bobie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Back in 2011 I fractured my left ankle. I was attempting to get on the riding mower to start the grass which was still damp from a lot of rain. My foot slipped on the riding mower and I landed on the left ankle and when I did it went inside and then to the outside. I heard the popping and knew right away it was bad. I was taken to the ER at our local hospital and X-rays done. I was told I fractured it and was put in a temporary cast until the following Monday when I saw the orthopedic doctor. He put me in a regular cast and was told 6 weeks in it. I ended up having it removed and a walking boot put on after just a week. At my 8 week check-up was told it was all healed up nicely and I was good to go. Well 7 months later I started having pain and swelling in that ankle. I went back to the doctor and he was very rude and said, “Well if you would lose weight, it wouldn't bother you.” That was the last time I saw that doctor and I went to another. The new doctor did an MRI and only showed some swelling around the Achilles tendon. He sent me to another specialist. This is my very first broken bone of any kind and it happened when I was 45 years old. I pray I never have another one after all of this. LOL

Comment from: jenn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I fell down the stairs at school.

Comment from: Rose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I fell walking down steps leading into back yard. I rolled over my ankle and tore ligaments.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I slipped on a wet front step and lost my balance, breaking the ankle. I am told it will take about four weeks in a cast, then in boots for partial weight bearing and then physiotherapy etc. I am following full instructions in order to fully recover.

Comment from: shirley nelson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I slipped wearing flip flops, going down steps which had only just been washed. Both sides of my ankle and my heel are broken. I'm in agony and I am totally immobile in a plaster cast.

Comment from: Ca Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

While on a family camping trip, I rolled my ankle; I knew instantly that it was broken (I heard it snap and saw my ankle in a position that it should not be in). My husband had to rescue me by canoe and drive me 1 1/2 hours down a mountain to an emergency room. There they discovered it was broken and needed a visit to the orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible. Three days later, I was operated on and had 6 pins and a plate installed. I am 14 days postop and bored, bored, bored. I know the road to recovery is going to be long, but knowing that I will get better eventually is making this alright.

Comment from: Jasmine Tiah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I slipped and fell at work after housekeeping cleaned the floors. I was wearing high heels and when I slipped, I broke my ankle in three places. A month has passed and my foot is still swollen.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>